JDM engine swap on 92 Pathfinder

PFFlier

Well, I got my old VG30E engine out of the 92 Pathfinder and onto a stand and got my new JDM (Japanese Domestic Modle) on a stand and I'm swapping out parts.

The one they sent me (Foreign Imports in Lynwood WA)is from a 2 wheel drive and mine is 4x4. I'm trying to figure out if there is anything I can leave on the JDM and not have to swap out. So far I'm planning on swapping the engine mounts, exhaust manifold, intake manifold, fuel rail, oil pan, oil pump, and oil pickup strainer. It looks like I will probably also have to swap the thiming belt covers, all pullies, water pump, distributor and all cables and harnesses.

Since the old one might have gone out from poor oil circulation, I'm thinking I should get a new oil pump. I may have to swap the valve covers too since some of the outlets for EGR are a little different direction. The water pump housing looks very close......may be a couple degrees different in the angle that the hose comes out.

Has anyone done one of these that knows about this process? The timing belt looks brand new, but I'll probably change it anyway since I have to take it off to swap the oil pump. I'll need a new driver side engine mount because the one I took out was completely broken in the rubber area. It looks like the flex plate is about the same so that should be OK.

It's too bad I can't use more of these parts because they are like new and mine the old ones have 240K on them. The injectors and rail are different......too bad because the old connectors don't snap on very well.

Any help or input is appreciated.

Thanks

The best route would be to strip it down to just block and heads and then put all the accessories from your motor on it, this way you know everything will fit back in the way your motor came out. You won't have to worry about oil leak either. Replace your cam and crank seals (front and rear) also.

James

I will be putting the old 4x4 oil pan on the JDM. The old pan had a full gasket but the JDM only had a gasket where the half round part is for the crank on the front and back. The old one with the gasket leaked, but it also had 240K on it. should I put a full gasket on the JDM when I put the old pan on it????

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, you pretty much have to swap everything buy the block and heads over to the new engine. My JDM came from a FWD something and everything had to be pulled and swapped. I did leave the oil pump but changed the pan and pick up. Easiest thing is what you're doing - set 'em side by side on two stands and go at it. Dunno about the cams being different durations, but I'd imagine if there is a difference it would be nominal and you wouldn't feel any performance gain from them.

My JDM was from a 4x4 so my tech said all he changed over was the throttle body as my truck has cruise the new engine did not. I even had him leave the oil in it that was in it as I wanted to make sure there were no leaks before I put Mobil one in, he pulled the plugs and checked them and said they were ok. The engine ran perfect when I picked it up, I had one light on the dash that turned out to be the exhaust temp sensor that the JDM engine didn't have, but I removed it from the old engine and the new engine had the plug for it but it had a cap in it. After I got it home I replaced the plugs, fuel & air filters and the oil and filter. But straight from the JDM engine store it ran very well.

The first JDM engine I had put in my 87 Hardbody had to have the intake manifold and valve covers swapped, it had a FI system that I had never seen on any US based engine, the motor had to be out of a RWD as it had a belt driven fan, but it also had ribbed pulleys the stock VG30 has "V" belt pulleys. We also swapped the oil pump to a 300ZX one as it had the correct ribbed pulley to match the new JDM engine.