Ethics of trading in a vehicle that probably needs repairs

jwblue

We have a Saturn L-300 that has only 35,000 miles and giving a lot of problems.

The water pump and radiator needed to be replaced in June of last year. Then again last week.

We are now getting the smell of coolant when turning the engine off.

I posted the problem on a Saturn site, and people have suggested it is likely an oil cooler problem.

I am not sure I want to find out if it is or not.

If I trade in the vehicle, how many people would mention the problem to the salesman.

What if it was a private party?

I don't know for sure there is a problem. Am I obligated to pay money to find out if there is a problem?

Edited by jwblue

Don't say a thing. They will have their mechanics look over it before offering you money for it. If you were selling it used through classifieds, that would be different.

through a dealership? they'll find it on their own if a deal is made and it's traded in (and take it to auction, possibly bandage it so it seems fine for a couple hours while it's there) Selling it outright to a private party, I'd be upfront but play dumb. Make it known something is wrong but only get as in depth as necessary for the price you plan to ask.

anyone buying a new gm should expect to be buying a ****** car, you're fine

Pretty much, and from a dead brand at that. You do know that models timing chains break pretty often, I would dump it as soon as possible if it was my own car.

Laws are different from state to state and province to province.

Here in ontario, if you trade in a car to a dealership, you are NOT required to disclose anything to the dealership. The dealership that re-sells that car MUST disclose any issues found on the car upon resell.

example. You are in an accident with the car, have it fixed. When you trade in the car, you don't need to tell them about the accident, even if you are directly asked about it. When the deler goes to re-sell it, and find out on a car-fax report that there was an accident, they must by law tell the next buyer that the car was in an accident.

If it's a private sale, the law changed in 2010 (I believe) that you must disclose any issues to a new buyer.

Now, if we were talking about the same accident as above, there would be proof, ie: the date of the accident on the carproof. When it comes to a waterpump or radiator, the answer "I didn't know at the time of sale" would cover you and there would be nothing they could do.

Now, from the standpoint of "would you personally tell someone", I would either price the vehicle accordingly, or dislose it.

If the vehicle was worth $5000 in mint shape, but needs $1500 worth of repairs, and you only ask $3500 for it, then maybe not, but if you're asking $5000, then yes I would.