89 Pathfinder Spedometer Problems

Has anyone encountered problems with the odometers and spedometers not working properly? My spedo will idicate the MPH and log miles, however the mileage is not accurate. The tripmeters also will occasionally show the miles driven, but more often than not, they stop working all together. I can re-set the trip meters, but after a few miles they stop working again. They also make a clicking or sound like the gears aren't fully engaged in the back of the gauge cluster.

I've searched the forum and found nothing so far.

Thanks in advance.

I have an issue currently with my speedometer which is the worm gear in the transfer case where the cable goes in, which held hands with a broken end on the gauge end of the cable and a stripped gear on the other end of the cable. Take the cable off the transfer case and put a drill on it to eliminate from there to the gauge.

Yup, just a simple way to eliminate/locate if it's one of the easy to remove pieces

Well I trided that, and the cable is still attached. The spedometer works, I just don't seem to get accurate milage on the odometer or tripmeters?

Any ideas?

The speedo on my '91 had the trip meters fail because of the gear that links the odometer to the trip meters has a little plastic clip that holds it in place that broke. My odometer still logged correct mileage though. Maybe that gear is being bound some how and preventing the odometer from reading correctly as well. The speedometer isn't too difficult to remove from the cluster, you can at least get a look at all the gearing to see if anything is out of whack or missing teeth.

How did you fix the problem ? Thats what it sounds like to me too. The tripmeters work for a short while, then they stop logging the miles. If I push the re-set button in to reset to zero they'll work along with the odometer and then the tripmeters stop like they're stuck and the odometer seems to lag behind in calulating milage. However the speedomter still keeps accurate milage...according to the police dept's speed traps ! LOL.

To fix the rattling I pulled the speedometer out of the cluster and was able to get the offending gear out of the speedometer, it meant my trip meters wouldn't work at all. If that's what is causing your odometer problem too it should fix that. Sorry I don't have a picture of the internals, but this is the gear that connects the odometer to the tripmeters.

5665569343_37b704b9f4.jpg

IMG_0750 by josh42_98, on Flickr

To fix the rattling I pulled the speedometer out of the cluster and was able to get the offending gear out of the speedometer, it meant my trip meters wouldn't work at all. If that's what is causing your odometer problem too it should fix that. Sorry I don't have a picture of the internals, but this is the gear that connects the odometer to the tripmeters.

5665569343_37b704b9f4.jpg

IMG_0750 by josh42_98, on Flickr

If I pull out those gears will that disable the speedometer entirely ?

This guy stripped out maby?

e74dabde.jpg

Teeth stripping on mine were the cause of my speedo bouncing, and having the incorrect tooth count one for your geaeset/tire size will make your speedo off a couple ( there's a thread somewhere on trying to decipher which one you need)

No. The speedo works, it just accurately log the correct amount of mile. I went to fill my gas tank the other day. And discovered that in 1 week I only covered 93 miles! I know I put more miles on than that! So, I'm wondering how I can fix this and what might be causing it? I have stock wheels and tires, so I know it's not thrown off by that.

Edited by frozenrotors

That gear in my picture only disables the trip meters, but if it's part of the problem causing your odometer to be off it might fix that as well. Only way to tell is pull it out and take a look at the gears, see if everything is meshing right and there are no teeth missing.

Since your speedo works fine, it is definately something wrong with the gearing in the back of your speedo assembly. There is nothing to do but take it out and see if you can find something cracked or loose. Its Not hard to pull. If you don't see anything obvious try blowing it out with air and spray a silicone lubricant in there. Other option is just replace the whole assembly with a junkyard/ e-bay replacement. Be sure you get the exaxct same instrument cluster. Different models had different plugs and gages find one that matches exactly. I spent a few hours dremeling the speedo housing to get a replacement one to fit, and even now my trip odometers won't reset, so I need to get back in there. Also be careful reinstalling the cluster. There is a plastic sleeve at the end of the speedo cable that drives the speedometer. That piece of plastic can be brittle and crack. If that happens it might not spin the speedo at all. I fixed mine by cutting a piece of disposable pen and supergluing it to the outside. Good luck at figuring it out

Edited by Desert89