In cabin air filter

snow4me

Wasn't sure if my new to me 2001 Pathy had an in cabin air filter or not. I decided to have a look at the window sticker that the original owner left for me. Sure enough, it does and it has been in there for 10 years! If you have one, have a look at it, pretty disgusting. I cannot imagine that was very healthy to have in there. Have a great day! Daryl.

Yeah, My 99.5 LE dosn't have them. I had thought about knocking out the plastic inserts that are currently where the filters would go. At this point, though, I think that it would not make that big a difference as I like to drive with my windows down whenever I can. Plus, I'm too lazy!

For those who don't have them and are lazy (like me most the time) to sctroll through the attached thread, here's howto install in cabin air filter. :crossedwires:

Did mine today - Cut out the plastic & put them in.

Took about 40 min - had to replace glove box light

Just an FYI, there is a sticker on the inside of the glove box, not in the bucket but off to the side that says my truck has the filter. Don't know if they all do but you could probably tell if you have one if you have the sticker.

i didn't know you could add the cabin air filter even if it didnt come standard. after i cut the slot, there were like leaves and all kinds of other @!*% just packed in there, no wonder when i turn my ac on, the vents seem to "shoot" bits of dust and other things at me. One of the easiest mods. i got my filters from amazon, they have the ATP charcoal ones that are supposed to "absorb" odor.

does anyone know why they had to make it use 2 separate filters? there are so many gaps between the 2 filters that dust or whatnot is going to get through anyway... just that with the filters in place, less dust/debris gets through.

The two filters in mine have foam on them and seal up really well.

I was hoping for something like that of what you described... however, my filters looks like this guy's

http://forums.nicoclub.com/how-to-replace-cabin-air-filter-t440515.html?sid=f8dad10ed1f5266f1d3e6c641898b3ff#p5538604

Not my filters/picture, but where the 2 filters "connect" have gaps in them that allows air to get through... so far as I can tell. :scratchhead:

I don't think a little gap will hurt but I'd bet a strip of duct tape would cure what ails you.

Mine sealed up really well too - maybe because I used OEM units

and they were lined w/foam.

I also made sure that when I cut out the plastic panels

that I cut to the inside of the ridges. There is a minute

slot on the ridges that would almost make one think that is where

one should cut - However, that will make the opening a wee bit larger than it should be

and also does not cut easily - staying to the inside of the ridges ensures

a really nice fit. Glad I figured it out in time.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine sealed up really well too - maybe because I used OEM units

and they were lined w/foam.

I also made sure that when I cut out the plastic panels

that I cut to the inside of the ridges. There is a minute

slot on the ridges that would almost make one think that is where

one should cut - However, that will make the opening a wee bit larger than it should be

and also does not cut easily - staying to the inside of the ridges ensures

a really nice fit. Glad I figured it out in time.

This is a good tip! I cut and installed them in my 97 today. It only took about 30min and that included vacuuming out the leaves and pine needles..