clutch chatter

makie

About a month ago I had the clutch replaced in my 95 and shortly after that the clutch chatter started and is getting worse. I have to call the garage today to ask them to fix it but I thought I would try to get some opinions on the cause before I did that.

It only shakes in 1st gear and from a dead stop. It's very slight first thing in the morning but after driving for a bit or later in the day it gets worse, to the point that I can barely get moving from a stop and the truck feels like it's going to shake itself apart.

I don't think that the flywheel was surfaced when the clutch was replaced so could this be the cause or would the chatter be more constant? What else could cause this?

thanks for your help!

More than likley you need to have the flywheel 'de-glazed' that means taking an abbrasive wheel to the 'friction surface' of the flywheel to remove all the build up from the last clutch 'friction disc' Or if it's really bad. The Flywheel needs to be re-surfaced to remove the uneven surface.

BTW, how was the main seal on your crank shaft? Any leaks present, that could have gotten on the clutch disc or flywheel? That can cause these syptoms too.

Hope that helps,

Krmiller07

Edited by krmiller07

Exactly my thoughts, just in opposite order of of arrival.

They did replace the pressure plate and throw out bearing at the same time, right?? neither should cause this, but they generally should be done at the same time, especially on the pathys where the tranny is a PITA to remove...

B

Thanks guys! I figured it was a flywheel issue but wasn't sure because of the intermittent chatter so I wanted to check before I talked to the garage. Right now it looks like they'll be covering it under warranty so I have my fingers crossed that it stays that way.

To answer your questions, yes the pressure plate and throw out bearing were replaced and as far as I know the main seal is fine. It's not leaking oil (that I can tell) and they never mentioned it when they put in the new clutch.

Make sure they replace the pilot bearing if they take it apart. My mechanic said he did, but it sounds like it's making noise when I engage the clutch.

krmiller07

This is why you learn to fix your own stuff so you know what was done. Although some times that is not possible.

This is why you learn to fix your own stuff so you know what was done. Although some times that is not possible.

Or at least you know what should be done so that you can instruct the shop EXACTLY what work you would like done and what questions to ask.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) I'm doing my own. I'm replacing the pressure plate and throw bearing, as well as the mainshaft oil seal (since I'm in there), and had my flywheel resurfaced (lots of glazeing)

Additionally, I will be applying RTV sealant to all mating surfaces, and replacing a cracked throw bearing fork boot to keep it all watertight.

I don't trust anyone else to work on my truck since the last 2 times I had that done I found shortcomings (incorrect assembly, and missing parts!)