Manual transmissions.....

porsche4786

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you drive an auto or manual?

• Auto
    • Manual
    • No transmission!

Okay, what is the deal with finding used manual transmission pathfinders (97+), frontiers 4 door (99+), and xterras with a manual transmission? I've been looking for weeks and nobody seems to have much of anything (that is also 4x4). Do most of you drive auto's or manuals? I refuse to drive an auto, so I always end up looking for almost a year to find something decent.

North American issue, people learn on autos so that is the largest part of the market. The manuals are tough to find, it took me a lot of looking to find one myself.

I prefer them because the transmission almost never fails if you can drive a stick. Clutch sure, but that is a couple of hundred thousand Km issue. Cheaper to put in a clutch than rebuild a auto transmission.

But they are a pain if you commute in heavy traffic.

You may have more luck with Frontys than with Xterras or Pathys. Xterras and Pathys tended to be marketed to a different audience. So they often came with autos. Also depends on the region you're in. In the mid-atlantic you can find a lot of manual trannys. Fewer in the Northeast. Try fleabay and craigslist if you haven't already - people often try to sell manuals there because dealers lowball manual trades.

You may have more luck with Frontys than with Xterras or Pathys. Xterras and Pathys tended to be marketed to a different audience. So they often came with autos. Also depends on the region you're in. In the mid-atlantic you can find a lot of manual trannys. Fewer in the Northeast. Try fleabay and craigslist if you haven't already - people often try to sell manuals there because dealers lowball manual trades.

I check craigslist every couple hours lol. I did look at one xterra with manual, but it had some funky engine noises, and timing belt hadn't been replaced yet and it's at 130k miles...Not that's its hard to replace, just the time factor. And the noises I wasn't sure about.

• 3 weeks later...

I check craigslist every couple hours lol. I did look at one xterra with manual, but it had some funky engine noises, and timing belt hadn't been replaced yet and it's at 130k miles...Not that's its hard to replace, just the time factor. And the noises I wasn't sure about.

Finally.....found an Xterra with a manual transmission, and just under 61k miles. Glad that is all over with. When I sit at a computer the first thing I do (without even realizing it) is get on craigslist and see if anything new is on.

Ive recently seen alot of 4x4 and 4x2 double cab 2nd gen 5 speed frontiers (say that five times fast) if I had the extra cash and wanted to continue with a guzzling 6 cyl motor id trade up to one...I like having an open bed. However my 98 5 speed pathfinder was a hard find...love it though (aside the mpgs). But yeah, it is the American market..we don't want to push that clutch in apparently.

Edited by Der_Vier