1993 Pathfinder V-6 XE

Guest miamibrando

Guest miamibrando

I have a Nissan Pathfinder 1993 XE V-6 that hessitates when accelerating off a stop. It also has the same symptoms when the A/C is on. The symptoms are speratic and occur only twice or three times a week.

I think it might be the fuel pump that will give out soon.

Please respond with your suggestions.

Is there any difference when the vehicle is hot ot cold ? When was the last tune up ? Have you used injector cleaner lately ? How many miles on the truck ?

I'd look at the ignition (spark) system, use some injector cleaner, check air filter, check inline fuel filter (behind the battery). If none of this helps, maybe you have a sensor or connector failing. Check all the wires and connectors you can, using dielectric grease cant hurt. Does your check engine light ever come on ? Maybe try checking the error codes on the ECU. There is a good write up at the top of this page I believe. Just guesses, but this is where I would start. Good luck.

Bernard

could be many things. O2 sensor and/or anything to do with spark (wires, plugs, cap...) fuel pump failing, from my experience, rears itself more as just cutting out at weard times not really hessitating though..

keep us posted with your solution...

Guest miamibrando

The hessitation usually happens when the vehicle is cold. I recently replaced the fuel filter. I will replace the roter and distributor cap. I am postponning to use injector cleaner due to those additives usually kill an ailing fuel pump. Can you guide me to the wires and sensors you mentioed I should check?

Your response is trully appreciated.

Thanks

Brando

Guest miamibrando

The hessitation usually happens when the vehicle is cold. The Pathy has 146000 miles. A full tune-up was performed two years ago. I recently replaced the fuel filter. I will replace the roter and distributor cap. I am postponning to use injector cleaner due to those additives usually kill an ailing fuel pump. Can you guide me to the wires and sensors you mentioed I should check?

Your response is trully appreciated.

Thanks

Brando

that's few miles.. it probably needs a bit of TLC.

run ecu codes to find out if it is the O2 sensor or something else...BTW: the sensor is under the driver in the exhaust pipe. it can be a PITA.. i have't been able to switch mine out yet as i'm going to have to remove some x members to be eble to get my pipe wrench on it (it's actually 22mm) gas milage is terrible though...

the ecu procedures are simple... see the sticky about it in the garage...

since it has been a couple of years since a tuneup i'd check the plugs too. visually inspect the plug wires for any damage (cracking etc...) you may also look for any vac hoses.

since you say that this only happens only when cold it could be something related to the vac or something like that which seals after things expand from heat...

if you think that injector cleaner would kill your pump then you might as well do it and you'll know for sure... i have had a couple of fuel pumps go out but i sure have never seen the corralletion between the two..

Hey Brando. Do you have a manual for the truck ? That will show the sensors far better than I could explain. Just check all electrical connectors you can find first. Is the timing correct? I'd guess that you have some sort of air/fuel issue when its running cold, and that part of the system is not used at operation temp, but plugs/wires/etc could still be part/all of it and reading the plugs can tell you a lot about how the engine is running. Is your gas milage ok ?

I wouldn't be too afraid of injector cleaner, and if you injectors are clogged/dirty it could cause problems when the combustion chamber is cold. Sorry this isn't very specific yet, but there are a lot of possible factors. Just start by checking as much as possible, and replacing the simple cheap things. This usually narrows things down quickly.

mzxtreme, 22mm is .866" so a 7/8 wrench is very close. A little trick is to insert a piece of shim stock or an old feeler gauge if it feels too loose. .005"-.008" should do you fine. Can you get an adjustable wrench on it ? I'd save the pipe wrench for last...

Bernard

Guest miamibrando

I just replaced the rotar and distributer cap. The problem persist, but at a lesser degree. I will purchase an injector cleaner and check every sensor I can see.

Thanks,

Brando

Guest miamibrando

Hey, I am unable to locate the pcv valve on my 1993 Pathfinder. I thought it was on the vlave cover. But with no luck.

Please reply if you know the location.

Thanks

mzxtreme, 22mm is .866" so a 7/8 wrench is very close. A little trick is to insert a piece of shim stock or an old feeler gauge if it feels too loose. .005"-.008" should do you fine. Can you get an adjustable wrench on it ? I'd save the pipe wrench for last...

Bernard

yup, i am to the last resort now. the semsor is rounded off now and there is really no other way that i can think of. it's also ruted in very badly so i may have to blow it off..

but thanks for your input...