95 pathy wont start

robert

Okay, so my 95 pathfinder has sat for 2 years now, sadly its been my little project left behind.

I borrowed a trailer this past weekend, and pulled it to my part time job at a jeep only junkyard(flame if you must)

But i went to start my pathy today, put a battery in it, put some fresh gas, turn key, it was slow at first but slowly picked up as it tried to turn over...

battery died, so i hooked up my jeep to it, set my programmer to idle at 1400rpm and let it charge a bit, tried again, the started moved quicker this time but still nothing.

On the gauges on the pathy, my fuel gauge says its way below empty, i had put 5 gallons of gas in it. Is there something that could not be getting power to the fuel pump? or no spark? i havent touched this in a long time and have lost my touch...

Prior to all this it had caught fire twice at the alternator ground wire? still havent figured that issue out, but right now, id like to get it running again. if i cant i must sell my project and move on to a new project.

you should be able to hear the pump whirring for a few seconds after you turn the key to ACC or Start. try jumpstarting with the jeep and see if you can at least get it running. im not sure, but I think the truck will run without an alternator and good battery as long as you have the jumper cables hooked up with a working vehicle.

My guess is you need a new battery and you should test that alternator. If it fried a ground wire, the voltage regulator might be gone, or it has a dead short in it somewhere.

Edited by nige

Do you have spark? Do you have fuel pressure? Does it actually crank at normal speed (quickly)? What does the voltage drop to while you are cranking? Something shuts off if the system voltage dorps too much. I want to say the injectors and at 10.5-11 volts but that is from faulty memory.

B

internal combustion engines only require 3 things... fuel, air and fire. Check to see if you are getting fuel (check fuel pressure, pull a plug and see if it is wet with gas, etc. Check for air (probably not the issue since it would run rough rather than not at all). Check for spark. Pull the coil wire and hold it near a ground source. Have someone crank the engine and see if you get an arc. Alternatively, pull a plug and hold it against the block (with the plug wire attached), crank and see if you get spark on the plug.

oh yea... it all has to be at the right time. If you have fuel in the cylinders, spark at the plugs and have convinced yourself that there is not a squirrel nested in your air intake, you might have a timing issue which you can start to investigate by disconnecting your coil wire, pulling your #1 plug, inserting a probe (chopstick, etc) into the plug hole and hand turning the crank to find TDC on that cylinder. Then pull your distributer cap and see that your rotor is near (forget if it is just before or just after when checking this way) the #1 post.

Okay, tomorrow, ill try a newer(better) battery, some new terminals for the wires, and ill check fuel and spark.

When it was trying to turn over it was a real slow crank, like there wasnt enough juice for it, so that could be possible.

Also what could be the cause of the fuel gauge sticking way below E? ill take picture tomorrow also of my confusion, i put little over 5 gallons in it..

Also what could be the cause of the fuel gauge sticking way below E? ill take picture tomorrow also of my confusion, i put little over 5 gallons in it..

Sending unit (or whatever that ball thing is in your fuel tank) sticking on something? I've read certain brands of fuel injector cleaners can alleviate this issue.

As for the fuel gauge, I don't know. I'm not good with electronics and I haven't had that problem.

Go to the Garage section and look for the pinned Factory Service Manual thread, it will tell you how to download a free copy. The diagnostics in it are pretty complete... :aok:

B

Okay, reporting back, it was the simplest issue ever as to why it wouldnt start...

While it had sat up at my uncles house, i believe one of the relatives i have, well cousin, had cut the wires on the plug for the fuel pump, hince no fuel at motor, ran to part store got some butt splice connectors, and vualla, it runs, smokes a little, had little to no oil, put some 10w30 in it, and tappin noise went away, let it warm up, put it in drive and drove it around the junk yard runs pretty smooth, and the Alternator that caught fire still WORKS, unhooked battery box to move it and it kept running, so, its good to go, still thinking about selling it, for something different, i really need a truck

So soon it might be on craigslist.com/indiana for sale or trade for a 4x4 truck

give your cousin a collective smack on the back of the head from npora

now that you can get it running, why sell it? is it not a 4x4 model?

getting a utility trailer is cheaper than a new truck

I already have a 4x4 jeep grand cherokee with a v8 solid front axle, I'm just needing a truck plus the frame is pretty much gone on one side :( just odds an ends that I want a truck, it wouldn't be a new truck, I'm thinking late 60's to early 90's 4x4 pickup, solid front axle and v8 with a long bed, I like the pathy but partly is the frame is pretty gone on the rear, and I can't find a better rear half around my area...

But if I keep it, do a small lift on it and make it a weekend only rig, kinda like my jeep is right now