Removing oil pan

sewebster

So, as I mentioned in another thread (http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=29744) I think my oil pickup tube o-ring is no good. At the very least I know it is not really fully appropriate. So I think I will replace it. This requires pulling the pan.

The FSM write up seems pretty good. Basically I have to remove the front diff and starter, and then apparently unbolt the engine and transmission mounts and lift the engine.

Couple questions:

-it says I don't need to remove the front crossmember (which requires dropping t-bars). Is this true?

-why do I need to remove the idler arm?

-any hidden difficulties awaiting me here?

and finally,

I have a torn CV boot. If I remove the auto hubs and the snap ring, can I just pull the CVs out from the inside once I have the diff off, or is there something preventing that? If anyone remembers the 12pt socket size I need for the cv bolts that'd be nice too.

I did search with google a bunch on this site, but didn't really find anything conclusive. Maybe I should make a how-to.

EDIT: WD21 VG30E

Edited by sewebster

Here's the deal with the pick up tube o-ring. It's a bad design. Nissan realized this after many of them shrunk, cracked, and ruined people's engines due to sucking air into the bearings instead of oil. The part has been superseded by a flat gasket and a redesigned pick up tube. You cannot purchase the o-ring anymore. And if you somehow do, you'd be very stupid to run another o-ring.