Update on twin turbo project

slick250

After finishing the transmission and oil pan project last month...( search for "going to twin turbo pathfinder"), I have moved on to the fabrication of getting this damn beast to FIT! I have had the engine in and out of the vehicle 12-15 times trying to make room and have finally found it. I now have the transmission and engine bolted in with the alternator AND AC compressor. All clearances are insanely close but I have very secure mounts and feel it should all be adequate. I will remove it all one last time this weekend to replace several solenoids in rear, and replace hoses with silicone replacements. Within the next week, it should all be back in and bolted permanently with transfer case, new clutch, etc... and I can soon start the wiring and intercooler plumbing.

I will throw a few more pics of it from past week.

2q8smch.jpg

21d371x.jpg

6ppbwy.jpg

2pzicgi.jpg

As you can tell from the last pic....clearances are very tight and precise mounting location is VERY critical on this conversion.

Man you are balls deep in this one. That first pic looks bad ass! Where are the turbos at?

The turbos are down low on both sides of engine towards the rear...(right where the starter would normally mount), which requires a special transmission with starter relocated to bellhousing and coming in from the rear.

I still have to mount 2 inercoolers, plumb up twin intakes coming together into one MAF sensor/air filter, run AC lines, PS lines, etc, etc...plus the rewiring. This will require a hood scoop due to the only mounting location being on top of the engine and will protrude out of hood. I have most of the parts I will need for all this already ordered and I'm still shooting for this project to be up and running before April 25th...which is when our group plans on going to Little Sahara, OK for "Snakehunt Weekend" which is a big ATV/ sand car rally at the sand dunes in Oklahoma. I will try to take more pics of project as I go and hope to have video of it in action hill shooting sand dunes within next 2 months.

get the vasaline and the shoehorn out... that thing be tight between the rails!2 workign turbo projects to watch on my list (not that I'd do either one, that requires buying stuff)

so do you have about 2-3° engine rock clearance? great project...once i have the $ i have my theory on how to get it installed...you can just work out the wiring for me :shiftyeyes:

good luck! hope the project is a success...and it makes me mad that you're gonna have a TT fit in a pathy before me but glad someone can say told ya I'd make it fit!