In the midst of replacing a timing belt have a question...

meekrog

When at TDC for number 1 and having the crank at 0 degrees the dimples on the driver side crank dont match up. It was this way when I opened it up and I am wondering what the issue/ possible remedy for being a couple teeth off would be. I have scoured through seemingly all of the info people have given in other threads and have not gotten a definitive answer. So any input or advice would be great.

What do I do about it being a tooth off on one side? just rotate?

Take the timing belt off and put it back on properly...

Counting the teeth is the way to go. Do it a couple times :) (numbers are in the FSM)

False alarm actually... haha Tooth count was perfect. The issue was my eyes being goofy and me not taking paralax into account, even the dimples line up perfect when you look at them right.

After I got it all together it was making some noise from under the timing cover... time for round three, thinking that maybe I set the tensioner too tight... Couple hours later... truck is put back together, tensioner has been pinpointed as root of terrible racket... Round 4 tomorrow!

Edited by meekrog

After I got it all together it was making some noise from under the timing cover... time for round three, thinking that maybe I set the tensioner too tight... Couple hours later... truck is put back together, tensioner has been pinpointed as root of terrible racket... Round 4 tomorrow!

and after getting it back together for the fourth time it was still making noise... resorted to youtube and found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdrjijgLXb8. This was the exact noise and after an inspection of the lower timing cover I found the bottom bolt to be stripped and rattling against the harmonic balancer, anyways problem solved and something to watch for! Evidently it is not a terribly uncommon issue to run into while doing vg series timing belt swaps.