Bolts wont come off to replace brake rotor HELP

Guest USMCDEVILDOG

Guest USMCDEVILDOG

I'm having major problems getting these 2 measly bolts off of the torque member bracket on my brakes. The torque member is the brace thing that goes over the rotor and the brake pads slide onto and hold position against the rotor. I got one side off, although it took me awhile and now I can't get the other side off for the life of me. I don't want to take it into a shop, one because I am at the point of no return and the other is money. I tried putting WD-40 on it and that didn't work. I even used a ratchet and a pipe to use for torque and that didn't work. I am pulling up towards me to loosen which is harder. Does anyone have any ideas of how to get those stuck bolts off. I dont' think the rotor has come off in awhile for anything. I am at a loss. Maybe heating the bolts may work? I really need to get these bolts off in order to finish my little pad and rotor removal project. Thanks all.

If I were you I would just go to a shop and pay a tech $10 to break it loose. That is what I did to get a bolt loose on my Maxima's suspension. This was after I spent an entire day working on it, breaking 2 Craftsman ratchets and 1 socket. A shop got it off in 30 sec with air tools.

dirty bastards not putting anti-sieze on the bolts... sheesh what a p.i.t.a. All i can say is keep dousing it in penetrating oil. It may take a day for it to completely soak in, but jsut keep laying it on.

Try using a penetrating oil/solvent like PB Blaster, etc. While Water Displacement-40 is perhaps better than nothing, as the name shows, thats not really what it is for. Try 'ringing' the bolt (hitting it squarely on the head a few times with a ball peen hammer) soaking it will P-oil. Do you have a hand impact driver ? They will sometimes break bolts free. Try heat if the others fail, but be careful of flamable solvents !! Good luck..

Bernard

Guest USMCDEVILDOG

I feel your pain warreagle. I broke one wrench, one socket, and then I used my girlfiend's spare tire lug nut wrench as a torque bar and got the socket stuck inside the thing, so I stuck a srewdriver in the other end to try to tap it out and ended up breaking off the plastic handle because I was hitting it and ended up getting the screwdriver stuck in there as well. So now I got a lug nut wrench with a socket sticking out of one end and a busted screwdriver in the other. Looking at it now is pretty comical, but at the time I was cussing and throwing (I am a dork for trying to use profanity here) around. So I packed up my pride and put the tire back on and made an appointment to take it to the shop first thing Monday morning. I got the one side completely done and just had to take off the 2 caliper mount bolts and I was home free. But I don't have the tools necessary or a car lift. I tried the brakes out and they didn't work too well, I mean it stopped me, but not really good. Could it be because only one side has the new rotor and pads on it and is thicker than the other side?

USMCDD, try bleeding the brakes (if you haven't) and hopefully you didn't have grease/oil on the rotors, You hosed it all down with brake cleaner ? Just be careful when you drive to the shop !

I'm chuckling about your 'custom' multiuseless lug nut wrench. I recall doing similiar things in the past. The right tool is invaluable, but it takes a while to get a good assortment together. I highly recommend a 1/2 drive breaker bar; cheap and effective. Good luck.

Bernard