Really weird electrical issue

fusion

Hey guys, I have a weird electrical issue that really has me baffled. I installed a CB radio last night. Standard stuff... door jamb mount on the back above the passenger taillight, the radio itself is connected for power to the Cigarette lighter/power outlet live wire (green/brown) and grounded underneath the dash to a bracket bolt. Everything worked normal before that and up until I ever powered up the CB for the first time. After powering up the CB and tuning it... my dash lights, shifter lights and front day light/turn indicator combo lamps all come on whenever the brake pedal is depressed far enough to activate the brake pedal switch, as soon as the pedal is lifted, they go off again. I have undone the cb power and ground connections, checked all the fuses, etc. and for the life of me cannot figure out what on earth it could be... help!

Additional info... it does this no matter if the key is in or out and it does it regardless of position, if key is in.

Edited by fusion

Are your taillights functioning fine??

I had a similar problem when a taillight bulb popped, my brake lights were always staying on and like you said when I would depress the brake, just as the switch engaged, all my center console and gear shifter knobs would illuminate (I forget if the cluster lit up to), let go of the brake pedal, and all the interior lights would go off. I was driving around with this interior light problem all day until a good person at a stoplight told me my brake lights werent working (they were working, but they were always on so he didnt notice a change in light) thats what made me check the taillight bulbs.

Changed the bulb, problem solved.

Seems pretty similar so I thought I would mention

Are your taillights functioning fine??

I had a similar problem when a taillight bulb popped, my brake lights were always staying on and like you said when I would depress the brake, just as the switch engaged, all my center console and gear shifter knobs would illuminate (I forget if the cluster lit up to), let go of the brake pedal, and all the interior lights would go off. I was driving around with this interior light problem all day until a good person at a stoplight told me my brake lights werent working (they were working, but they were always on so he didnt notice a change in light) thats what made me check the taillight bulbs.

Changed the bulb, problem solved.

Seems pretty similar so I thought I would mention

Thanks man. I actually figured it out right before I left for work.... my taillight bulb that I took out when I installed the antenna was in backwards. Same problem as you. Embarrassing to say the least, given all the time I spend troubleshooting it and pouring over electrical diagrams. It's nice to know that I had I not figured it out I would have got home from work, logged on and had my answer laid out in front of me by ya. Huge props! :beer: