Winch ratings

sewebster

So presumably when I see a winch rated to 10000 lbs, what it means is it can exert 10000 lbs force when there is no cable on the spool, i.e. minimum spool diameter. As you pull more cable in, the force is going to go down linearly with spool radius right? So how much can you pull when you've got most of the cable wound up?

Does anyone do these calculations? Can't you build a winch that sound like it has a lot of power just by using a narrow spool? I find it hard to know what kind of winch or cable puller etc. that I might want by looking at these rating numbers...

All Winch Manufacturers supply a table with their winches that will tell you the pulling power per drum spool. It is available on their web sites.

If your having a problem with any Warn product just give them a call or e-mail them, they are very good with customer service. I bought a pair of manual hubs from the junkyard (Warn) and when I took them apart to clean them I noticed a few parts were worn out, I e-mailed Warn even telling them I bought them at a junkyard and the guy asked me what I needed and sent the parts out FOR FREE!!

Can't beat that deal great customer service and standing behind a product that they knew I did not buy new !!

Yea that is awesome man... I have limited experience with warn, lol never had any issue at all with my 8274!!! Unfortunately I sold it...years ago... sigh, to have one of those again would be sweet.