Easiest way to get BFG A/Ts on my 2004 LE?

dumuzie

I just bought a 2004 LE Pathfinder to replace my totaled 2003 LE - these both have 17" wheels stock. On my 2003 I researched the potential for M/S rated BFG A/T TKO tires that would fit, and found nothing. I am trying to figure out what the best/cheapest solution for getting some TKOs on the 2004. It seems like 2 simple options would be to 1) get the 2" lift and opt for bigger 17" dia. tires, or 2) Go for 16" or 15" wheels that will accommodate M/S TKOs. With the lift, there is the cost, and the alignment/handling issues. With the 16" or 15" wheels there is the potential for grinding issues. Anyone have an opinion on this? Also,,,,if i run 16" or 15" wheels, and have a 17" spare....curious how that will work in an emergency situation....?

A 15in wheel wont clear the brakes, so thats out of the question. You can fit a 30in tire stock from what I have heard. If not go with a 2in lift and you can fit 31's without trimming. Camber alignment bolts will be needed when you lift.

Just bolt them on. Tire diameter determines whether or not you need to lift, not tire type. Check the tire size thread in the R50 pinned topics section to see what other people are running and get a good idea of what you can do.

Edited by Zibi

Reading the thread title first thing that pops in my head is "mount and balance them" (well it was "candybar!" but that's irrelevant). Curious though, why the BFG determination? Brand loyalty? Ever look into other brands to see if someone else makes a tire for your needs in your wanted size? There is a "unofficial tire review" thread around here that might be worth a couple minutes of your time :aok:

245/70/17. ;)

16s are fine and you can find a cheap set of 5 matching wheels from another year R50 on ebay pretty easily.

BTW, it's BFG AT TA KO. not TKO. ;)

Edited by esy

245/70/17. ;)

16s are fine and you can find a cheap set of 5 matching wheels from another year R50 on ebay pretty easily.

BTW, it's BFG AT TA KO. not TKO. ;)

1) 245/70/17's = Not rated for Severe Snow.

2) 16" Rims for SE models will fit, but appears they run 255's...can 245's & 255's be mounted on same rims? Is there a range that of width that a rim can handle?

Edited by dumuzie

A 15in wheel wont clear the brakes, so thats out of the question. You can fit a 30in tire stock from what I have heard. If not go with a 2in lift and you can fit 31's without trimming. Camber alignment bolts will be needed when you lift.

My 15s clear the brakes with brand new rotors and pads. It depends on the 15, but for most its probably not worth trying.

Don't buy new wheels or a lift if you are looking to get the most bang for your buck, especially if your only goal is to get a certain tire on your vehicle.

Put on some BFG T/A KO 265 65 R17.

These will fit with a little minor heat gun work and trimming. The rears will clear fine but you need to clearance your front inner fender a little. All you have to do is heat up your front inner fender with the heat gun and push it forward with a leather glove. That is all the clearance you need to run these larger tires.

I fit some 265 70 R16 on my 2002 which are essentially the same size, with no lift, bone stock. They look awsome, and you will not regret putting on a larger than stock size.

Now, if you are looking for an excuse to install a lift or buy new wheels, its your money :rolleyes:

Edited by edolmseth

Don't buy new wheels or a lift if you are looking to get the most bang for your buck, especially if your only goal is to get a certain tire on your vehicle.

Put on some BFG T/A KO 265 65 R17.

These will fit with a little minor heat gun work and trimming. The rears will clear fine but you need to clearance your front inner fender a little. All you have to do is heat up your front inner fender with the heat gun and push it forward with a leather glove. That is all the clearance you need to run these larger tires.

I fit some 265 70 R16 on my 2002 which are essentially the same size, with no lift, bone stock. They look awsome, and you will not regret putting on a larger than stock size.

Now, if you are looking for an excuse to install a lift or buy new wheels, its your money :rolleyes:

No, i think you nailed it....i just want to get some severe snow rated tires, with an aggressive profile and not have to mess around too much with trimming.....with 265/65 R17s even at full lock, forward and reverse, or when bouncing around off road you dont get any rubbing with just minor heat at the front only? that sounds like the best option,,,,, as for the cash -> i'd rather save it for some lights, driving back and forth from Taos, NM to Denver, Co at night is like playing russian roulette. Thanks for the advice...you dont happen to have any photos showing your rig and the inner fender with the 265's would you?

Uhh, no idea what you're talking about when you say 245/70/17 is not rated for severe snow. A tire size does not dictate what it's rated for, the type of tire dictates what it's rated for.

You asked for the BFG ATs and they come in a 245/70/17. What are you asking for exactly?

Uhh, no idea what you're talking about when you say 245/70/17 is not rated for severe snow. A tire size does not dictate what it's rated for, the type of tire dictates what it's rated for.

You asked for the BFG ATs and they come in a 245/70/17. What are you asking for exactly?

Tirerack agrees, that size is not severe snow rated.

245/70R17

119/116R E Not Rated For Severe Snow

(NOTE: While most BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO tires meet the industry's severe snow service requirements (and are branded with the mountain/snowflake symbol), selected tires do not. Specific tires/sizes not meeting the industry's severe snow service requirements are identified with a "Not Rated For Severe Snow" notation on the Sizes & Pricing, as well as on Specs)

You won't have issues with it in the snow. I use less aggressive tires in heavy Tahoe snow and don't have problems. You'll slip in just about anything other than true snow tires if you're in really icy conditions. In heavy powder days with Michelin LTX AT2s or BFG ATs, i didn't even need to use my 4x4. I drove around just fine in my brother's Accord with street tires and chains in heavy powder as well.

For the record, i'm on Michelin X Radial LT2s which are the equivalent to the LTX M/S2s.

No, i think you nailed it....i just want to get some severe snow rated tires, with an aggressive profile and not have to mess around too much with trimming.....with 265/65 R17s even at full lock, forward and reverse, or when bouncing around off road you dont get any rubbing with just minor heat at the front only? that sounds like the best option,,,,, as for the cash -> i'd rather save it for some lights, driving back and forth from Taos, NM to Denver, Co at night is like playing russian roulette. Thanks for the advice...you dont happen to have any photos showing your rig and the inner fender with the 265's would you?

I will try to post some pictures tonight. (Pictures are worth a thousand words)

Yes, all I had to do was melt and mold the front, front inner fender if that makes sense. It is the piece of plasitc just behind the fog light area that bumps out into the wheel well. Also, for good measure, I cut a little plastic out of the mud flap and a little off the corner of the front bumper with a dremel cut off wheel. I have absolutely no rubbing in full lock forward or reverse. I have not had it really flexed out but have taken it through various trails and have never heard it rub.

Edited by edolmseth

Pics as promised.

BFG All Terrain TA KO 265 70 R16 (Equivalent size to 265 65 R17)

DSC00999.jpg

DSC01000.jpg

Picture of plastic molded with heat gun, will probably take several try's to get it right. Just heat it up and push it back, continue this until you get it the way you like it.

DSC01005.jpg

Picture of Trimming on mudflap.

DSC01002.jpg

Hopefully this helps