Brakes

180sx

So I know the 3.5 R50's have bigger brakes (and maybe the 99.5-00?). So I was looking at the brake master cylinders from them (well, pictures) and noted that they are different (as far as the lines are placed). For you VQ guys, does it say what size the cylinder is? I'm wondering if it's bigger than the 3.3 guys (I have a 1", which is actually pretty big already). If so, would make a nice upgrade for me (not that I would need it, but better braking is always better).

SOOOO....have a looksy for me when you get the chance, please? Thanks!

Jose

Might be stating the obvious here, but make sure you have at least 16" wheels if you want to upgrade the brakes.16's came standard on my '01, and when I went to look at putting 15" rims on, the tire guy pointed out that they would never fit the brakes.

Yea, I know that. Don't want the bigger brakes cause then my 15x10's will be useless to me! I just want the master cylinder. So, since you have an 01, want to tell me what the number on the side of it is?

Jose

There is a Nissan sticker on the booster with 3W451 in big numbers, then in smaller numbers next to that is M235T. Below those were even smaller numbers: JKC 866-01017 0Y11.

The cylinder body itself has BM50 stamped on the side, with 0W002 and OYA etched into the front.

No size,, huh? Well, mine has BM50 on it also, so maybe they are the same size. Oh well. Guess Ill go find one to see if my wheels will clear the brakes.

Jose

I used to have a 1998, which was wrecked a few months ago. I bought a 2003, and swapped many components over to the new(er) truck. I was also under the impression the brakes on the newer R50s were different, specially considering that the '98 did not have ABS brakes, and the '03 does, but with the trucks sitting side by side it sure looked like the rotors and calipers were the exact same size.

I did not checked specific part numbers and such, but I was able to install my 15" steelies (U.S. Wheels) on the '03 without any rubbing, replacing the stock 16" alloy wheels. I also swaped the braided stainless steel brake lines and warn manual hubs. It also looks like I should be able to swap the stillen drilled rotors I had on the '98, I just haven't gotten around to it.

Hope this helps...

The 99.5+ have slightly larger rotors. Slightly.

I am pretty sure the wheel issue was with 15" Nissan steelies and a few aftermarket models. I seem to remember some people had no problem getting them to fit and some people had to grind down the calipers a little to get them to fit.