Why does my windshield have vertical lines?

RedRider3141

It is indeed called the "diversity antenna"

it is used to boost the signals, mostly where you would experience "signal bounce" as in the downtown core where there's a lot of buildings.

When you replace your factory deck with an aftermarket one, you'll notice that the antenna plug is round with 2 wires that go into it. one for each antenna, you need an adaptor to go from 2 to one.

they work together, but will work on their own just as well. the windshield one would not pick up as good a signal as the fender one.

if your power antenna is dead, and you can hear the motor running, then you can just buy the mast portion seperatly, and they're fairly inexpensive, and easy to install.

If your motor is dead too, then you can replace the complete antenna with a cheaper fixed mount one, just need to splice the antenna wiring.

When you replace your factory deck with an aftermarket one, you'll notice that the antenna plug is round with 2 wires that go into it. one for each antenna, you need an adaptor to go from 2 to one.

Huh, didn't know I needed that. I'll have to see whether I am using such an adapter next time I rip apart the dash. But then again, I don't listen to the radio much...

NM-9.JPG

it's a round plug, and you'd need an adaptor like above.

if you don't have it, either someone has modified it previously, or maybe your vehicle didn't have the antenna in the windshield from factory, and someone replaced the windshield and put the wrong one in.