Pathy lagging, how to increase horsepower, pick up

Guest USMCDEVILDOG

Guest USMCDEVILDOG

Hello all,

I have a 1995 Pathfinder that is pretty much all stock engine. It is a V6 and I thought V6's had a little more kick to them. When I hit the gas, it seems to hesitate a little bit and just doesn't have good pick up. It takes forever to pick up speed merging onto a highway. I changed my plugs about 2.5 years ago and changed my fuel filter about 1.5 years ago. I regularly change my oil and air filter as well. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can do to improve pick up. Maybe a different set of plugs or K&N air filter. I'm in the dark about things like this. I have regular spark plugs in there now. My pathy also rattles a little bit in the engine section when I hit the gas. I had that problem when I first bought it and had the header/manifold bolts tightened to hell and it seemed to fix it. I dont' know if this is a reocurring problem again or what. But it's annoying when I drive. Maybe some of you have had the same problem? Thanks all.

-Brian

Semper Fi

A K&N filter will help you with giddy up. better throttle response. If you just changed plugs, I suggest you change the cap and rotor and the plug wires. Plug wires--get some magnecor or some 8mm ones or just stock ones--7mm. The rattling is possible those heat shields on the exhaust manifolds. Just remove them.

Welcome to the world of pathfinders and they're inability to get out of their own way.

I would do what the others suggested(K&N filter, Bosch Platinum or NGK plus plugs, new wires, cap, rotor), and then see what you have. Also change your o2 sensor if old, as it will wreak havoc on your fuel mixture.

Once you have done that, you've got the Pathfinder as close to stock state of tune that you can get it. Yep, that's right! That's what it came with. Awe inspiring isn't it?

After that, you're going to have to spend a little bit of dough to get more performance:

1) less restrictive intake exhaust

2) reprogrammed ecu

3) new cams(some cams have been reported to boot hp 25-40 horsies, depending on your year vehicle). Greatest gain, but also expensive.

This engine's achille's heel is is getting the fuel to the combustion chamber. Undersized cams combined with anemic fuel mixtures from the ecu cause it to run at much less than it's potential.

Within the last couple of days, I replaced my o2 sensor and gave it a full tune up. I can now accelerate up mild hills in 5th, and moderate hills in 4th. Before this, I had to down shift(usually to 3rd) to make it up a steep hill. Now it will hold it's own.

thanks,

json

Guest USMCDEVILDOG

Thank you all for repsonding to my horsepower problem. I am going to go out and get new plugs, wires, and rotor and perform that little project on Monday. I am also going to look into getting a new O2 sensor. Does anyone know how much they cost and how hard they are to replace. I don't know a whole hell of a lot about automobile repairs. I've only a novice at doing a few select repairs. Thanks again for the info though.

my advice for you on the o2 sensor is to buy an OEM style replacement, not a cut-to-fit replacement. Bosch makes good ones. This will make the replacement much easier for you, and will also get rid of possibilities of error.

Look ahead of the catalytic cvonverter on the exhaust, and you'll see a metal piece threaded into it with a shielded wire coming out of it. That wire carries to the harness, the shielding will stop and you'll see 3 separate wires with a connector. Simply disconnect the harness, remove the old sensor and replace/reconnect.

Sometimes when they've been on since new and/or you live in a winter wonderland with bad rust, it may not want to come out. Penetrating oil and heating up the bung that it threads into will help. Worst case scenario would be that you have to weld a new bung in, but it's rare that it goes that badly :)

ooh rah, semper gumby and yut!

json

My truck was bogging down going up hills and was running rough so I put some new NGK V-Power plugs in this weekend. These are the first plugs I have put in since I bought it and I don't think they had ever been changed (138,000 miles!) The used plug gaps were from .052 to .060 compared to the spec .034. I drove it after the change I there is a noticeable difference in power up hills and smoother running. I'll switch the cap rotor and wires next.

Guest USMCDEVILDOG

I just bought some new bosch platinum +2 spark plugs and a new cap and rotor. I am going to change those out tomorrow. Hopefully it will help some. I think I might buy a new oxygen sensor as well. That is all I could come up with to change. Hopefully it will make a noticeable difference. I might go for a K&N air filter as well. Any other suggestions would be grateful. Thanks All.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest boostedz31

Pathfinder came with vg30e 6cyl... a bullit proof foundation lacking one thing~ "t"..... swap to a vg30et turbo engine~ your Pathfinder will slaughter the forest! GOT BOOST?