Welded R200 front diff

maikan

No it will not hurt your lsd. Your LSD uses Friction to do its job. Too much friction and the parts wear out, too little friction and it acts like an open diff.

The addive reduces friction.

alright cool

As for adding a modifier, no. The modifier is an additive that makes the fluid more viscous ("slippery"). Unless your rear tires lock on dry pavement when taking a corner then you do not need to add any modifiers. I ran an aftermarker gear oil in my LSD rear diff for a week and the inside rear tire was chirping taking any corner at parking lot speeds...I needed the modifier, you do not.

You can't lock the front with any success on-road unless driving in a straight line. <--(period). As mentioned above the front end will push in any turn and the traction will be F'd. Previous posts noted frontal LSD but again in slippery situations (on-road) especially in corners they suck at anything over 20km/hr. LSD in the front is intended for off-road situations, not the majority of on-road with the front driveline engaged.

If you've ever driven a FWD vehicle in snow, you know what it like to push the gas an plow straight ahead, even on corners. Now add LSD or a locked rear and you have no control over the vehicle at all. Welded or selectable locked front ends are for off-road only at low speeds. Permanently locking your front-end will limit you to off-road only. In snowy conditions on-road, grab your snowshoes as you will not make it far above 30 km/hr! You'll join the multitude of minivans and other SUVs in the ditch.

The front LSD's have a much lower breakaway torque. The rear is like 280ftlbs to slip.

The nismo front LSD for fronteirs is like 60ftlbs and other aftermarkets will close to that.

The 300ZX r200 LSD's when installed up front on a pathy provide 80~100ftlbs depending on maintence and wear.

The Z LSD may cause understeer on slipery conditions but the others should not.

The front LSD's have a much lower breakaway torque. The rear is like 280ftlbs to slip.

The nismo front LSD for fronteirs is like 60ftlbs and other aftermarkets will close to that.

The 300ZX r200 LSD's when installed up front on a pathy provide 80~100ftlbs depending on maintence and wear.

The Z LSD may cause understeer on slipery conditions but the others should not.

I thought the Frontier/Xterra front diff wasn't interchangeable on the R50...? :scratchhead:

They are not, I think he was posting the specs for info purposes. Where the OP was looking for additional traction in snow, it's hard to get to 60 or 100lbs in order to break-away the LSD. I loved my Pathfinder in the snow but the LSD (from a 300Z) made it utterly useless with the front end locked. Off road, great but I used only one hub engaged on the road. Not a big issue for me as snow covered roads happen less than 20-30 times a year here, but for someone in a snow belt...I would not recommend it for the front. Now selectable lockers are another storey :)

Selectable is available on a switch. Regardless if its electronic or air, its the same end result...the on switch is on, off is off. All others are varying degrees of mechanical type lockers with varying degrees of break away torque and this includes LSD.

If your end result is good traction in snow, get some decent studded tires and stop worrying about front lockers. They do more harm than good on road and suck a$$ above 30km/hr off-road. Trust me on this one. If it were not for the fact that the previous owner of my Path installed the LSD before I bought it, I would have removed it to re-install the OEM guts...but I didn't have the OEM on hand.

Edited by HFXpathfinders

So HFX, you had or still have the 300zx lsd up front?

So you did 3 wheel drive in the winter lol. That's one way of solving the understeer probelm.

I imagine 60 ftlbs + some extra additve would breakaway on snowy roads but not on ice or hardpack.

So HFX, you had or still have the 300zx lsd up front?

So you did 3 wheel drive in the winter lol. That's one way of solving the understeer probelm.

I imagine 60 ftlbs + some extra additve would breakaway on snowy roads but not on ice or hardpack.

The Path is gone. A local guy took the front diff when I parted it out prior to going to the crusher. And yes, 3 wheeled in on-road slippery situations for 7 years. I ralely use 4WD in the snow on-road. Much more fun to fishtail that way!! My Path only gained 6k miles a year, so it was not a big deal to worry about. The benefits off-road more than made up for the 3-4 times a year I used 4WD in the snow on-road

As for including more additiove, it would have worked but then I would not have had the LSD for off-road. Kind of a trade off, lower break away, yes, but not what you want in the dirt & rocks.

Edited by HFXpathfinders