2wd - Worn out and clunking front end. What to change/check

WOT

The front end of my car needs some love, I hit bumps and tracks way to fast and its taken its toll and now repaying me with clunks and not so comforatable noises when going over uneasy unstable roads.

Ive replaced the sway bar end links with oem ones twice now. And just recently a set of new lower ball joints that I am unsure of there quality (was ebay, Im actually kinda pissed I used them)

But Im thinking my problem may lie in my shocks or the mounts/bearing above it

Is there anyway to isolate or check these parts individually??

Ive never done the front struts so I dont know how to take it apart or what exact parts are in there.

My 2001 is 2wd so it may be different than alot of yours anyways I dont know the difference

Are there any kits available for the items I would need for the from strut replacement OTHER than the struts? I read that OEM is best but I cant find a list of things to buy for my 2wd

Pull the front wheels off and start pulling and moving parts by hand and see if anything has excessive movement. Thats how i was able to diagnose my front end noise. I actually just had my front struts replaced today. If your looking at getting new struts i highly recomment KYB GR2 but make sure to get OEM bearings, mounts, brackets and other hardware. Check under the hood to to see the condition of the mounts

Well the rear has gr2's so Im probly going to do the same in the front. I think my springs are fine so I probably wont touch those.

I just didnt know what exactly is sandwiched under my strut and body. Is there any threads on here with anyone taking the front shocks out and showing the removal process??

Sounds like alot of pieces need to be bought individually though, wish there was a kit!!

There are many threads on here about front struts and pieces involved. Just do some searching and you'll find 'em. I had someone else do my work, i'll never replace struts and springs on any vehicle. There are too many horror stories ive heard about spring compressors failing and the spring shoots out like a bullet. but from what ive heard its a couple bolts, compress the spring, install the strut and then your pretty much done.

im sure others will chime in and have alot more specific details.

I actually did do alot of researching, I couldnt come across a thread with maybe an expoloded view of the pieces and there position in the assembly. Ive read alot of stories about not using KYB strut mounts, and to stick with OEM, but every other thread or so someone mentions bearings, brackets and bolts and I just really havent seen it before so I dont know what to expect/buy

I actually did do alot of researching, I couldnt come across a thread with maybe an expoloded view of the pieces and there position in the assembly. Ive read alot of stories about not using KYB strut mounts, and to stick with OEM, but every other thread or so someone mentions bearings, brackets and bolts and I just really havent seen it before so I dont know what to expect/buy

Check the FSM. You should find what you need in there.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=26616

--Howie

The thing is I dont know if its my struts, mounts, bearings, stabilizer end links, ball joints etc are whats making the noise. I dont have a ton of money to just shotgunning parts at it until the noise stops.

I was just curious of kinda assembly the front strut was made up of

Could it just be my stabilizer links?? I changed them with oem ones maybe 15km ago.. but I put them on myself didnt do any special procedure or anything just put them on and tightenned them down if it makes a difference in there life.

check out this site....www.courtesyparts.com

its all factory nissan parts. search under pathfinder on the left side column for the year you have and from there you can select anything from suspension, to air filters and differentials. pretty much anything.

hope this helps.

word of warning, everything is very year specific, so watch out for that.

I searched for over an hour now on just a view of someone taking there front assembly (shock/spring) apart and I cant find anything, Does anyone remember a link where someone on this board did a suspension overhaul or anything?? I just would like to see how it looks apart, and what actual piece I need to buy or could possibly need replaced. Im in the dark and cant find a good identifying picture