Whilst in 4wd

Der_Vier

We (finally) got a light dusting today, which wasnt much, but enough for me to stick the 4wdhi on. Noticed whenever i slowly take a turn, there is resistance and a bumping going on in the front...put it in 2wd and its just the usual tire bump that I get. With the 4wd on the tire bump i get is increased. Can't imagine this is normal :thumbsdown: any ideaS?

can you clarify what you mean by "tire bump"?

if you mean binding, then that's pretty normal as that is what the transfer case is doing. it's sending power to the front axle, so the steering will feel a bit tighter than in 2WD.

What you're describing is normal when you turn sharp corners in 4WD on any high traction surface. A "light dusting" still allows the tires to find sufficient traction on the underlying pavement, so your steering will feel very heavy, and the tires will scrub as the drivetrain binding is periodically released.

:coffee!: glad to know nothing is going to blow up :)

many thanks

As for the "tire bummp" if I go too quickly into a turn in 2wd when its dry out, feels like my tires in the front bump over something...not really badly but still noticeable. Im thinking it may just be because of the size of the vehicle and the force on the tires at that angle

Drive in a tight circle in an open area (parking lot) with the truck in 4WD. Take your foot off the gas. If the truck quickly groans to a halt, you have traction, and as the other guy said, the tires will scrub and hop to relieve the stress. Find a place where you really don't have traction and THEN you can worry about noises and shaking etc.