speedometer and odometer

shotzie417

neither one have worked since i got the pathfinder, i didn't really care about that because i always chill with traffic when i am driving the pathfinder vs my chevy until i got a ticket luckily the cop was cool and just gave me one for no seat belt and a warning for speeding anyway, how do i fix the speedometer/odometer every thing else works fine, just not those two. i wanna fix it before i go to north carolina considering there are always allot of cops whenever i drive threw georgia , and here lately. any help would be nice i have never fixed one before.thanx

I'm pretty sure your 90 PF uses a cable for the speedometer, (saw a 90 in the junkyard this past Saturday and it had a cable), the cable could be broke, on my 90 Sentra when I bought it the end that goes into the speedometer broke off, it was real easy to replace and cheap too about $30 I think and that was from the dealer !! But either end of your cable could be broke. I would pull the gauge cluster and see if the end of the cable is stuck in the back of the speedometer. The other possibility is the cable may not even be connected under the truck, on 4x4's it should screw into the side of the transfer case. Anyone please correct me if anything I have said is incorrect.

thanx i am pritty sure that it is cable spun also i just have never fixed one. i will pull the dash off tomarow and see if it is just disconnected if so how do i fix it? if it is the the part coming from the tranny how do i fix that?

hey man i have the same problem in my 92 and had the same in my 93....its most like not the cluster it has been the end of the cable that goes into the cluster. it is a little white part that snaps onto the end ofthe speedo cable and looks like a square needle the goes int the back of the cluster. well it seems the plastic cracks on it and the cable spins inside that part that clips on to the cable so then its not spining the gears in the cluster. i have tried replacing that tip on both trucks and it has worked for a few months then cracked again. I am thinking my cable is wearing out and hard to turn so i think the best best is to replace the cable. you can certianly try the tip but its hard to find one thats not cracked already. Only part that sucked about the cable changing is idk how to remove it with out taking the into plenum off its a very tight space atleast at for my big hands. Hope that helps.

edit....the tip will look like its spinning but to be sure try driving slowly down the road and put a little pressure on int if it quits spining then theres ur problem.

Edited by edicer2

• 2 weeks later...

I've also had the same problem with my 95 pathy (It has electronic cluster), but both work on and off sometimes, one and not the other. If i hit the dash a couple of times, the speedometer tends to start working again, but not in the winter (I live in Calgary, -20C). I did swap out the cluster with another one from the junkyard but still same problem. Any advice would be a great help

Edited by Luchios