Replacing bushings in upper links...

laxman0324

So the pictures show whats going on. One of the bolts for the upper sway bar link bracket has a captive nut that is no longer captive, so it will not be coming off. I removed the sway bar link and still don't have enough room to fit a socket on the control arm bolt. How in the world am I going to get to that nut without cutting off the bracket or drilling out the bolt to remove the bracket? Let me stress I would really like to keep my sway bar.

My only idea was to use and offset wrench but I do not like the fact that wrenches are 12 point with these nuts that are notoriously difficult to get off. The last thing I want is a rounded nut. I would appreciate any ideas!

2010-12-03_21-58-01_550.jpg

2010-12-03_21-58-32_293.jpg

what i did with that, is used a wrench. and didnt hold it. i just stuck it on there, let the bolt spin it around until it was against the truck, then went to town. i know you dont want to use a wrench, but the chances of it rounding it off is slim. using the open end will though.

other than that, you could take an acetylene torch and take the end off that bolt. and just pound it through with a screw driver. i had to do that with one of mine. didnt hurt the bracket at all.

i dont recommend doing anything to that not so captive swaybar bracket bolt, as there's no access to it to put another nut behind it.

I've done my lowers a couple times...haven't done the uppers yet..myself..but will be tackling that next spring. Will a pivot socket get on there? Not sure that's the correct term for it. Or Can you get a Sawzall in between the bracket and bushing and cut the bolt?...since you might have to do that anyway? Sawzall or angle grinder with thin cutting wheel?

piste, you shouldnt have any problem with getting to the bolt, as long as you can get that bracket off. thats the problem he's having, the bolt holding that bracket in the way is broke free on the back side.

piste, you shouldnt have any problem with getting to the bolt, as long as you can get that bracket off. thats the problem he's having, the bolt holding that bracket in the way is broke free on the back side.

Oh...yeah...I understand...sorry if my post wasn't clear. I understand his issue ...and was thinking maybe he could get one of those socket universal joints on there...but as I think about and take a closer look at the picture...not likely....but can't he just cut the dang thing out per my other suggestion? Then it's just a matter of whether he can get an open end wrench on the new nut to be able to snug things up to torque spec. But maybe alternatively consider putting the bolt in from the other direction...as it might be possible to get it in there that way and then put an open end wrench on the bolt head and deal with the nut from the other side?