Shiney, a Machinist's Show and Tell

Precise1

I finally got some video of the machine I run in action and a few pics of some of the real difficult parts I make.

Earlier in this thread I posted a pic of a seal flapper I made, this is the seat it fits on.

94bea1ed.jpg

I do a lot of parts where I do the lath work and milling in the same setup.

1d9b3a3a.jpg

89c13d87.jpg

4b6b51f4.jpg

b0ee1cb7.jpg

This was a labor intense part.

2d5c7333.jpg

Most of the work was done in this position. The inside slots at the front of the part were cut with a right angle attachment.

3c548f52.jpg

This was a really weird part.

1092b1ff.jpg

This was my setup and the finished part. I cut the extra pieces off by hand.

13bf6960.jpg

This is a really big part, here is a comparison shot with a Dr Pepper can of the rough stock after a light turn to true it up.

dcf959e0.jpg

Here is a video showing some 5 axis moves on a fixture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym4vf-bPJbM

The fixture is for holding a finished flapper to true the sealing face. The flapper and seat have to hold at least 25 inches of vacuum with a metal to metal seal.

cc04b91f.jpg

You can see in the video that my main problem with this machine is clearance. It has a 24" chuck so I have to stick my tools out far for clearance and then I have problems with tool performance.

When it comes to just lath work. The mill head holds the turning tools. The machine has an 80 tool changer on one side, and holds three large boring bars at the back side of the cabinet. It holds OD tools with the mill head at 45 degrees and ID tools at 0 degrees. Then when I need a really big boring bar, it holds it under the spindle.

This video is just showing tool changes. It starts off with an OD turning tool then changes to a 2 3/8" x 14" boring bar, then goes get a 3" x 30" boring bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJo-59cxd_U

One thing that has kept me at this job so far is running this machine. There are only 3 in our shop and I worked my way onto one before I was here 6 months.

James

It's a collet for something. I like to see parts we make get assembled but most of the time we just get a print and some material and make a part. Don't know what it is for just as long as it is made to the print.

James

That's Sweet James!! I do miss what I call 'real machining' but I'm not sure I'd want to do it day in, day out anymore. That said, sweet machine!! I don't recognize the internal configuration, who makes it? What make and model? Do you CAD/program it also or are you the test pilot?? :D

B

That's Sweet James!! I do miss what I call 'real machining' but I'm not sure I'd want to do it day in, day out anymore. That said, sweet machine!! I don't recognize the internal configuration, who makes it? What make and model? Do you CAD/program it also or are you the test pilot?? :D

B

It's a mazak integrex 650, I posted a pic of it on the first page of this thread.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=28702&view=findpost&p=548961

I do all the programming in mazatrol but the 5 axis work is done with gibbs cam by another programmer and I just test pilot. I am working on moving into the programming office. I have used Gibbs before but just for 2D lath parts. Standing behind this machine all day does get old when I have some run times over an hour per part.

James

Mazak makes some trick equipment. The first CNC I ever ran was a Mazak Super Quick Turn 8n, about 1991 vintage. It had the Mazatrol conversational control but you could break out mid program, insert lines in G&M code for something the Mazatrol didn't handle, then swap right back again. I used to hold +/-.0001" on that machine all day long!

I never used Gibbs before. See if you can get a student version or if the company will set you up with a secondary seat on a laptop or something so you can take it home and learn it on your own time. The some of the greatest advancements I have made in machining were done the same way, getting access and learning it on the side... Any chance they send you to a Gibbs programming seminar once you prove your prowess?

B

Mazak makes some trick equipment. The first CNC I ever ran was a Mazak Super Quick Turn 8n, about 1991 vintage. It had the Mazatrol conversational control but you could break out mid program, insert lines in G&M code for something the Mazatrol didn't handle, then swap right back again. I used to hold +/-.0001" on that machine all day long!

I never used Gibbs before. See if you can get a student version or if the company will set you up with a secondary seat on a laptop or something so you can take it home and learn it on your own time. The some of the greatest advancements I have made in machining were done the same way, getting access and learning it on the side... Any chance they send you to a Gibbs programming seminar once you prove your prowess?

B

I found a cracked copy of gibbs but the milling side ain't that easy to learn by yourself! The problem is they own espree cam and will want me to learn that. The way a programmer friend of mine described it was like trying to scratch your right ear with your left hand but reaching around the back side of your head. He said gibbs is way more superior but I'm sure these guys won't want to spend the money on the software. For a large company we got some idiots in charge! Someone blew some smoke up their but and told them this espree was the best out there and they believe anything a salesman tells them.

I cant get photobucket to allow me to upload photos right now (anyone know why?), but heres a short video I made for a presentation:

I spotted a mosin nagant in one of your sculptures!

James