Hit a curb... Bent a rim.... anything else?

zelix

as title says, rim is bent, was really wobbly driving, fixed it at school by putting my spair rim on, exact same type, and put back on the same tire.

balanced the tire perfectly put it back on, however improved i think i still feel a wobble....

is it all in my head? or could i have bent something further back?

i was going 30km/h or 18mph tops and drifted into the curb. when i took the wheel off i examined the suspension components and axle and as far as i could tell there was no bends or cracks....

also it was only the right rear wheel that hit that im aware of.

thanks

How did you balnce the wheel and tire? Im sure you created some "road force" with the damage. If you can see the damage, depending on how bad it is, you probably should not be using it. Now, I would have the alignment checked. You may have bent something if the impact was great enough.

Was it similar to this?

no, much much slower and damage by the looks of that video, not nearly as bad.

How did you balnce the wheel and tire? Im sure you created some "road force" with the damage. If you can see the damage, depending on how bad it is, you probably should not be using it. Now, I would have the alignment checked. You may have bent something if the impact was great enough.

at school we have a balancing machine. set it up, put the weights on, perfectly balanced with the new rim.

here is the spair rim with the old tire mounted on the rear axle

IMG_0104.jpg

^^ concrete dust is the whitish stuff on the tire, tire doesnt look in to bad of shape tbh.

spair tire on bent rim thats now on my tire carrier on back.

IMG_0105.jpg?t=1284763515

IMG_0106.jpg

grinded on the inner chrome part of the rim, can see it grinded and bent the top part of the rim

IMG_0107.jpg

and here is a picture of just behind the wheel, best i could get, and holy crap this picture makes it look incredibly rusted, but its much better condition in real life. (mostly just dirt actually from when i went mudding a few weeks back)

IMG_0108.jpg

looks fine to me, straight etc.

any input?

You might want to try rotating the wheel to the front an see if the wobble follows.

I'd start there with a rotate. I was following a 95 I owned for a while back from the shop one day with a friend driving and noticed the right rear wheel was wobbling at low speeds, but the wobble seemed to disappear when you got over 25 mph.

Bought a steelie from the junkyard and it seemed to run straight spinning on the balance machine off the truck when they mounted the same tire that was on the old wheel. Few weeks later I had a chance to follow my truck down the road again and the new wheel was wobbling just like the wheel I took off.

At that point I got an offer on the truck from a friend of a friend sold it, never looked into the problem any further. If the guy came back and said anything about it I was going to give him a $100 of his money back and tell him that I think the junkyard wheel was bent too just get another one.

What I really think was that the axle flange was bent and the axle would have to come out fix it. If I'd have lucky, and I never have this kind of good luck, some of the belts might be busted in the tire. That could explain the wobble under load mounted on the truck, but running true on the spin balancer.

I see my old truck and it's new owner every now and then and he's put 60k on it in about 18 months and never said anything to me about it. Just brags about how good it's turned out to be. He did have to pay $400 to get an exhaust leak fixed that turned out to be a broken stud. He said he thought he hit a speed bump too fast, I acted surprised.

So I'm really curious to see what you find out and what it takes to fix it since I was dealing with the same issue.

I'd start there with a rotate. I was following a 95 I owned for a while back from the shop one day with a friend driving and noticed the right rear wheel was wobbling at low speeds, but the wobble seemed to disappear when you got over 25 mph.

Bought a steelie from the junkyard and it seemed to run straight spinning on the balance machine off the truck when they mounted the same tire that was on the old wheel. Few weeks later I had a chance to follow my truck down the road again and the new wheel was wobbling just like the wheel I took off.

At that point I got an offer on the truck from a friend of a friend sold it, never looked into the problem any further. If the guy came back and said anything about it I was going to give him a $100 of his money back and tell him that I think the junkyard wheel was bent too just get another one.

What I really think was that the axle flange was bent and the axle would have to come out fix it. If I'd have lucky, and I never have this kind of good luck, some of the belts might be busted in the tire. That could explain the wobble under load mounted on the truck, but running true on the spin balancer.

I see my old truck and it's new owner every now and then and he's put 60k on it in about 18 months and never said anything to me about it. Just brags about how good it's turned out to be. He did have to pay $400 to get an exhaust leak fixed that turned out to be a broken stud. He said he thought he hit a speed bump too fast, I acted surprised.

So I'm really curious to see what you find out and what it takes to fix it since I was dealing with the same issue.

didnt get the chance to take it to the school shop today, drove the silverado instead.

i should do a wheel swap with the front one and see what that does, but yeah today after school i was crusing on the highways and was feeling really good, no wobbles or anything at the higher speeds.

tommorow ill check things out some more.

The wheel in the pics that hit the curb looks bent to me.

The spare wheel could be bent as well. It could have been balanced incorrectly. check it again. witha bad tire or wheel you can balance a tire, take it of fthe machine, put it right back on the machine and get an entire different reading. Rotating the from right to left will help eliminate causes as well. If the wobble moves to from oone side to the other you know its the tire/wheel.

The tire could be damaged internally as noted above.

I just cant see the axle being damaged from that curb hit. the drum could have been warped inside, and hitting the curb the rear shoes have readjusted and are now rubbing more from being knocked out of whack causing a wabble.

Is it just me, or on the pic of the spare, the tire looks damaged on the outside sidewall @ the 10-11 oclock position. The line of moulding that goes around the circumference looks rather warped just right there...

also barely past six oclock.

Idk if its the spare tire, but its on the spare tire carrier.

Edited by OldSlowReliable

Is it just me, or on the pic of the spare, the tire looks damaged on the outside sidewall @ the 10-11 oclock position. The line of moulding that goes around the circumference looks rather warped just right there...

also barely past six oclock.

Idk if its the spare tire, but its on the spare tire carrier.

good eyes, i cant see them in the picture, but in person i can see the warps, i got rear ended and i think that's the cause of one of the warps.