n00bish from NoVa/Shepherdstown

Der_Vier

Howdy

I'm new to this forum...I joined "thenissanpath" and posted up and never saw any response...maybe that forum isn't used as much?

Anyhoo, I aquired my 1998 Pathfinder XE (I am assuming it's an XE, manual windows, locks etc) in april and aside from the not so awesome mpg I love it...I was expecting low MPG's though becasue we weere in the market for a while so I did do my research.

My pathy replaced a 1986.5 D21 that I had...loved the little truck but lack of people space, airbags adn 4wd was kinda not fun after a while. Glad that I had it though as it taught me to always carry tools with me!

My dad owned 2 1984 720's, which is why I buoght the D21...he has since moved on to an 84 FJ60 Cruiser though.

Anyhoo, I am glad I have found somewhere to get info on what to look out for and the how to's.

IV

Welcome 4!!

Anyhoo, I aquired my 1998 Pathfinder XE (I am assuming it's an XE, manual windows, locks etc) in april and aside from the not so awesome mpg I love it...I was expecting low MPG's though becasue we weere in the market for a while so I did do my research.

Tip: install manual locking front hubs. I did this to the wifes 99 R50 and got +2mpg instantly. They were MileMarkers for $90 so no great investment.

My dad owned 2 1984 720's, which is why I buoght the D21...

I owned a 84 720 also. Best vehicle I have ever owned so I know what you mean. It led me to buy a WD21, another WD21 and an R50... :D

B

"Tip: install manual locking front hubs. I did this to the wifes 99 R50 and got +2mpg instantly. They were MileMarkers for $90 so no great investment."

How hard are they to install? Does it require taking the front axle off and fiddling with teh transfer case and such? I am at college so I have no garage or really equipment (socket set and some screwdrivers I do have) to do the swap with if it involves more than a few simple steps'

"I owned a 84 720 also. Best vehicle I have ever owned so I know what you mean. It led me to buy a WD21, another WD21 and an R50... :D"

I wanted a WD21 but not having airbags was kidn of an issue of me and parents (who helped buy). I like the older, truckier feel of SUVs (see FJ60) , but the R50 is damn nice too.

Not a r50 person but I think the manuel hubs is a basic bolt on procedure you really don't even need to pull the wheels to do, let alone the axles. Welcome to NPORA!

How hard are they to install? Does it require taking the front axle off and fiddling with teh transfer case and such? I am at college so I have no garage or really equipment (socket set and some screwdrivers I do have) to do the swap with if it involves more than a few simple steps'

I wanted a WD21 but not having airbags was kidn of an issue of me and parents (who helped buy). I like the older, truckier feel of SUVs (see FJ60) , but the R50 is damn nice too.

Easy and only a few basic tools. I had some abnormal trouble from the selector, but some fiddling with how it was tightened fixed it. The question is at 2mpg highway, 1mpg town (estimated), how quickly would you make up the $100?

1.5 MPG gain=+27 miles per 18 gallon fill up.

Divided by 18MPG average=1.5 gallon worth of extra mileage.

1.5 gallons here = $4.68

$90/4.68=19.2 fill ups.

2 fill ups a month=9.6months of driving to make the $ back.

Math aside, the SUV rides/steers smoother with manual hubs but you have to get out to engage them and they cost $90. :shrug:

The wife got an R50 for the air bags feature, not to mention the far superior interior (read:cup holders. JK Hers is a loaded SE with leather) and the smoother ride and more power, and...

I really like it and it is the vehicle of choice for road trips. She wanted to lift it, etc but I'm against it, we have one wheeler already.

B