Squeaking front driver side wheel...

AceJime

Soooooo... I just got all my paperwork sorted out and finally got my pathy on the road. :tongue: So of coarse I took it out for a spin! As I'm going down the road I start to hear this terrible squeaking whenever i make a turn, accelerate kinda rapidly, or after I let off the brake at a stop sign or what have you. So i figured the responsible thing to do would be to get back home and figure out where it's coming from instead of just ignoring it. So that's just what I did. I got my dad to help me search for the source while I pushed up and down on my brush guard to get it to squeak. After about 30 seconds or so it was easy to see that the squeaking was for sure coming from the front driver's side wheel area and nowhere else.

102_0684.jpg

Upon further inspection I was getting quite a lot of travel on a piece that I don't even know what to call... :wacko: Here's a picture of the bar and of where it goes...

102_0683.jpg

102_0685.jpg

If anybody knows what to call this thing I'd sure like to know... So I'm not just calling it "that broken piece of $hit"... Anyway here's a few more pictures of the damage...

102_0687.jpg

102_0690.jpg

Has anybody had problems with this before?? Suggestions on how to fix? Anything...? Any advice, help, suggestions, would be greatly appreciated...

Oh, and on a side note, I also found this completely disconnected... I also don't really know what to call it...

102_0688.jpg

The first thing is called the tension rod. It is a common problem on pathfinders for the bushings to wear and allow the rod to move around, and oval out the hole. There is supposed to be a bushing cup there too.

The second thing is your swaybar link. looks like it's seen better days. A new set of those can be had cheap.

Yeah I noticed from looking at the other side that there were some pieces missing from the tension rod (thanks for giving me the name). I know I need a new tension rod and bushings, but do I have to fix the ovalled out hole? Or will the new bushings compensate for that? My dad is a pretty good welder so if we have to we can fix it... I'm just not sure what the best way to go about it is...

You can either weld a washer over the hole the size of the new tension rod with the bushing sleeve over it or you can fill the hole in and re drill it. What I had done to mine is they welded a washer to the back side and fill welded from the front, its all good now.

You have to fix the hole or it will wear the new bushings out in no time (learned this one myself) and may cause the truck to shake or wobble.

I don't think not having the cups is really a big deal but on my hardbody I went to a steel shop and had them cut 4 piece's of steel the size of the flat area than they punched a hole thru each one and a buddy of mine welded them on, installed new bushings and never messed with it again, you of course will need new tension rods also.

There are threads on here about replacing missing cups using bearing races I believe

put plate over area where red square is:

2hnv1at.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy

Any parts store should be able to get them or even have them in stock. You might have to ask for strut rod bushings (I have no idea why they call them that)

Rockauto.com also has them and they are a vendor here so you can get a 5% discount.

Just ordered a part for my buddies Toyota thru rockauto, can't say enough good things about them, the item was shipped with a delivery date of sometime the end of the next week, 2 days later the part was at my house !!