Changing the fuel filter

Zibi

Searched and couldn't find anything, sooooo....

Anyone have any tricks for changing the fuel filter? I spent half an hour in 37 degree celcius heat under my truck today tugging at it before I gave up. I couldn't get the inlet and outlet rubber hoses to budge, and I was a bit trigger shy about really givenr since I have to take it on a 1600km roadtrip on wednesday and I don't have time to deal with any more @!*% breaking.

Another question. The Hayes manual says to pull the fuel pump fuse in the drivers cockpit and turn over the engine until the lines are purged. I could not find a fuse for it, but I instead pulled the relay in the engine bay. Had the same apparent effect so I assumed it would be sufficient (almost started and then just chugged away for a bit). Any different? Anyone know which fuse is the correct one on the dash? I've been unable to find an accurate schematic of the fuse panel.

Any help would be appreciated, the filter doesn't look like it's been changed in ages.

The relay will have the same effect as pulling the fuse. The actual fuse might be combined with another electrical system.

As for the lines, sometimes you need to somehow get a flat head in there and pry up a corner. I don't remember how long those rubber lines are but you could always cut them off and replace them.

Either way, just be ready to eat some gas.

Yeah I actually just recently replaced mine and the fuse can be found behind the coin drawer on the driver side. It is the fuse on the second column between the 7.5A and 10A fuses as shown in the picture. If I remember correctly there is a schematic of the fuses on the backside of the coin drawer.

2253864590106620101S425x425Q85.jpg

The best way to ensure that you won't get gas all over you is to start the car with the fuse out several times and let it die out so it can burn up all the gas left in the lines. Even still though, some gas came out on me when I took mine out. I had to use pliers to twist the hose off the filter. It was stuck on pretty well. Let me know if you need any other picture of the process because I took some for reference. Maybe I should make the how to for this???

Edited by HitMan

Here is the writeup that I followed, step by step with pics, and it shows you what fuse to take out. Def take it out though, less fuel will come out. The hoses can be a pain to get off, just have to horse them a little bit. And be ready to put the new fiter on as soon as you get the old one off, cause gas will be pouring out of the line, might help to have an almost empty tank when you do it.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/how-to-change-the-fuel-filter-r50-t459800.html

Fantastic, thanks for the responses guys!

It would have been helpful to post this a few weeks ago as I now have zero time to do it :D I'll probably end up replacing the rubber hoses. I was using a mini prybar (basically a flathead screwdriver with a bent tip) with some success but the rubber started to crack and as I said before I left this to the absolute last minute and didn't want to go through that ;)

And Hitman, feel free to post up a how-to, can never have enough of those here! I should really take my camera with me when I work on the truck, always mean to but always forget.

The rubber lines will almost vulcanize themselves to the filter over time so either lever/pry the ends back off (do it around the entire 360 degrees) or sometimes grabbing the hose with pliers and rotating it radially will work. Worst case, you just cut it off.

As for gas running out of the lines, simply wrap the rubber line with a rag and clamp it lightly with a pair of vice grips (needle nose are best, I always have 2 just for this reason) and voila, no gas spilling other than what is in the filter. ;)

B

sometimes grabbing the hose with pliers and rotating it radially will work. Worst case, you just cut it off.

As for gas running out of the lines, simply wrap the rubber line with a rag and clamp it lightly with a pair of vice grips (needle nose are best, I always have 2 just for this reason) and voila, no gas spilling other than what is in the filter. ;)

B

Precisely! lol, I always twist them. A light grip on the hose at the filter just tight enough to hold the hose still and a twist. Go to the hardware store and buy 2 really small C clamps...they are like .99 each, nearly the same as what B said!

I didn't follow the link, but instead of even attempting to unbolt the filter holder just slide to one side or the other and you will never have to use zip ties to hold your filter up.

Edited by 02silverpathy