Tire sizing question - 2003 LE - 17" wheels - Mud Terrain?

Bassomatic

Hello. My 2003 LE 4x4 has the stock 17" wheels, the stock tire size is 245/65 R17. I cannot find a mud terrain tire in the stock size. If anyone knows of a mud terrain in the stock size let me know; however, I cannot find one anywhere.

My question is, can I fit a 245/70 R17 on the stock rim without any issues?

Thanks for the help!

My answer is yes without even looking, but let me qualify that.

The new tire size (245/70/17) simply means the width is the same (245mm or 9.65") but the side wall is taller (70% of the width instead of the original 65%) which is more desirable for an 'offroad' tire due to the larger sidewall approaching 'high flotation' effect tire sizes like 31x10.5x15". You won't find many low profile 'off road' tires. Here is a break down...

Original tire

Sidewall: 6.27 in

Radius: 14.77 in

Diameter: 29.54 in

Circumf: 92.80 in

Revs/mile: 682.75

New Tire

Sidewall: 6.75 in

Radius: 15.25 in

Diameter: 30.50 in

Circumf: 95.83 in

Revs/mile: 661.16

Conversely, you could run a 235/70/15 as the diameter would be closer to stock...

Original tire

Sidewall: 6.27 in

Radius: 14.77 in

Diameter: 29.54 in

Circumf: 92.80 in

Revs/mile: 682.75

New Tire

Sidewall: 6.48 in

Radius: 14.98 in

Diameter: 29.95 in

Circumf: 94.10 in

Revs/mile: 673.33

Be aware though that theoretical tire size and actual sizes are different since they vary from the manufacturer by easily 1/2 an inch to as much as an inch for 'identical' sizes. Don't worry though since you (or your pathy) probably won't notice any tire size difference in this range anyway. Find a tire you like/want in a size that is close to stock (you can probably go larger if that suits you, but not what you asked) and call it good. ;)

B

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

Precise 1 Could you help me with a similar question.

Also have an 03 pathy and live in hawaii so there is limited places to get tires and shipping sucks. So, I want to change the 245 65 17s with bfg at ko2s that are 265 65 17... Been trying to find an answer on this for a bit and you seem to know your ####. Thanks man

The tire shop or tire manufacturers website should have specs on the tire that will tell you the max and min allowable width of the rim.

I assume you are asking if the tire will fit on the stock rims?