Rear end whine when on the gas

Hello there, on my 97 pathy I have always had this but now just looking into it. When I am at highway speeds and I am on the gas I hear a light whine from I believe the rear end and if I let off the gas it will go away. I have replaced the fluids and the truck has 126k on it. I am guessing it is the rear end but not sure where to begin and how big and expensive a job it is.(bearings, gears) Am I best to leave it alone?

Thanks

James H

Edited by 12161216

My 97 has had the same lightly audible diff whine sound for many tens of thousands of miles. (My R50 has 165K miles.) If it's just a lightly audible whine, it's probably not that big a deal, and much more of a headache/expense to fix. If it's really loud, then that indicates a much more serious problem.

I have the same and I know it's the pignon bearing... but it's not getting better or worse. Considering the cost to change this part , I would say, if it stays like that and worsen , then leave it alone... Other than that, like nunya said, it could be your ujoint.

Thanks guys,I will check the zerks tomorrow, I wknow I did them all 6 months ago but is is possible I missed one.

My thoughts exavtly about the noise, as long as it is not getting louder to just live with it or get some louder tires.

James

my 01 has the same whine. its not getting better or worse. one of the guys i work with suggested since my car has 180k i could try and tighten the pinion nut just a hair. but i dunno how much that would hurt it. any estimate on cost to replace bearing since you have to completely tear down the diff