Big Problem? Timing question

Guest carl1000

Guest carl1000

Well, I replaced my water pump today. Here is the problem....After I get it all together, the car acts like it has no power?? Idles ok and sounds ok. But when I put it in 1st it is very slugish and hesitant. Could I have screwed up the timing.

When I got the timing belt cover off, I tie wrapped the belt to the 2 top pullys so they would stay in place...then I took the belt off the tensioner and the crank pully...then removed the water pump. After that I put new pump in. Then I put the belt back on the lower pullyand tensioner. Anyway...it seamed like it when on JUST like it came off.

1 Thing...it was raining all day, maybe the distributer could have gotten wet?

If it is the timing, may I have screwed somthing up bad? What do I need to do to correct it? Any help is appreiciated.

Oh man....you replaced the water pump, but didn't put a new $15 timing belt on there while you had it all disassembled? That's a bad idea. Sounds like you got it back on with the crank one tooth off. You're probably going to have to take it all back apart and check it to make sure. Put a new belt on there next time, the new one will have timing marks on it that should match up with the marks on the cam sprockets and the crank sprocket mark.

Guest carl1000

Thanks for the help....Yea the belt was not that old....but now that it is 1 or 2 teeth out of time, Im going to get a new belt that is marked.

One question...How do I put a new belt on when I know it is out of time? Im thinking,

Line up marks witht the old belt on the best I can, then take it off...turn the pullys and alighn the pully marks with the cover marks ...then put the new belt on and alighn with the marks on the new belt. ?? Will this work?

I want to make sure I dont get it 180 degrees out.

Thanks again.

it shouldn't be too much problem. if you are worried about being 180deg. off don't spin the cams or cranck too much when they have no belt on them. try to keep all of those things in the approximate realtions to each other..

start with TDC...also check the timing belt change sticky in the garage...