New guy from Wyoming

jprater88

Hey everyone My name is Joshua. I am originally from Texas but I am in wyoming now... I own a 87 SE that I plan on doing some trail riding in... I plan on eventually having it at least 6 inches higher on some more meater tires... I like rock crawling and goin down to the local pits... I got it a little over a week ago and have been trail riding everyday after I get out of class... plus it helps having alot of trails up here... But I cant do most of the obsticals that I want to do because of the factory limitations of ride height and departure angles.. So if anyone has any suggestions as what I should do other than calmini's 3 inch suspension kit, or otheres that are either of the same caliber or price I would appreciate it. I have been doing some research not only on this forum but on others about either full kits or piece together kits(ie F150 front springs and cranking the torsion keys). there are a few questions about that method that I cant seem to find answers for.. How much lift do the springs and cranking the keys give me with out a body lift??? also what year ford fullsize do I get them from??? This seems not only a more economical lift solution but an easier one... Also the factory shocks surely have to be replaces if it lifts over 4 inches in order not to over extend them and cause them to fail... Also I have noticed some sagging in the front I am not sure if the front has a rake from the factory or if that is and indicator of the torsion springs starting to weakin or already failed.. I already have the performance accessories 3 inch body lift coming in sometime next week... So yeah thats really all about me I like to wheel and if anyone is in the area and wants to go wheeling or knows of any great trails please let me know i would love to go

Thanks if someone could answer these questions for me like said before it would be appreciated very much...

thanks

josh

haha thanks and as soon as i get some photos of it actually clean i will deff. load them I have just been having to much fun on the OHV trails up here that she is almost in a constant state of dirty. But I will try later this afternoon to get them loaded up...

Welcome Joshua!! I'm going to direct you to the Garage and How To sections to do a little reading up. All of your questions have been much discussed and the most complete threads are usually pinned at the top. Poke around a bit and see what you can find... ;)

B

Thanks Precise1, yeah i have been digging threw it and found most of what i was looking for, as far as re-indexing the torsion keys and the 80-96 ford fullsize springs... I actually went to the junk yark and found the springs I need for about 65 bucks, and a few pieces that my pathy need replaced (ie headlights assembly, domelight cover, stuff like that)

You are welcome, and good, it sounds like you found much of what you wanted to know. I must have been in a rush before, because I missed this.

Also I have noticed some sagging in the front I am not sure if the front has a rake from the factory or if that is and indicator of the torsion springs starting to weakin or already failed.

Yes, significant rake almost always points to sagging torsion bars, but the good news is that they can easily be indexed as you read. The bad news is that after any sigificant adjustment, you should probably get a front end alignment done. I do not have factory numbers, but most people agree that the WD21 came from the factory with the front lower than the rear. I run mine with the front end about 3/4-1" lower than the rear which seems to improve road manners slightly. I still have a 2" suspension lift and 2" body lift and 31" so it is not as if it limits me much.

B

As promised all though its not clean its after a bit of wheeling this weekend, and its not even an action shot of a completely stock pathy flexing what little bit it can, so sorry for the lame shot

36951_1526735336365_1474126107_31396373_4383731_n.jpg

It suprized the hell out of me to be honest. I put it through some tight and high side angle places and wasnt scared to go further, I put it in a pretty deep probably 3-4 foot mud hole and she almost got stuck but it somehow made it out on some pretty bald tires

Thank you. Yeah, that's the way I wanted to set mine up as it's my daily driver. You could easily achieve another inch suspension lift (3" not 2"), another inch body lift (3" not 2") and 33" tires, not 31s like mine. That's a net of another 3" lift...

It suprized the hell out of me to be honest.

Yeah, that's actually what I expected. :D

Now, imagine what it could do with some suspension work, removing the sway bars and some decent tires... ;)

B

already ahead of you on that one, i should be picking up the springs sometime next week and doin the reindex of the torsion keys, and then the body lift will go on.. then i may make a set of quick dis connect links for the sway bars, and set it on a set of 33's on crager wheels

Welcome to NPORA Joshua 10190.gif

Seems Precise1 had already guided you in the right direction, so I'll let you go from there. The forum is full of just about all the info you will need.

But, I do have one request, as some others will likely ask of you soon enough, please reduce the size of your sig pic for us thumbsup.gif