Q on replacing Steering Gear bushings/insulators

piste

I am original owner of '97 SE OR. The steering gear bushings/insulators look kinda tired and I'm wanting to replace them. Can I just do one side at a time by unbolting the bracket, sliding out the old bushing, put the new bushing in place, put bracket back on and then do same on other side? Or do I need to remove the entire steering gear assembly..both brackets simultaneous in order to be able to get the old bushings out and new bushings in place?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

I can not answer you, not having done the job. I do recall reading up on this recently for the wife's 99. Look in the 1996-2004 R50 section, it might be pinned or search. Let me know if you can't find it...

B

Thanks Precise1. I did some searching before posting...and just did some more rigorous searching of that forum. Did find some useful info but not quite what I'm after. Reason for my questioning is...I'm presuming if I have to remove both brackets simultaneously....then wondering if I might mess up the alignment? Or will it go back on right where it was because maybe the bushing/bracket slot will index the rack right back to where it was. I need to get new tires and alignment ...probably this week...and do want to replace the rack bushings but won't have them for another few weeks and don't want to have to do two alignments. So just want to nail down whether I could/should do one bracket/bushing side at a time or does it not matter? Never did steering work before...many other things though.

Also, anyone know a source for poly steering rack bushings? Or is OEM rubber my only/best choice.

• 3 weeks later...

Did this job today and just thought I'd report back for posterity. Also did the front sway bar bushings. Answer to my original post is it's fine to remove both brackets at once and in fact that's what I had to do to get the old bushings out. It's find to do so as the steering rack sits in the lower brackets just fine. The FSM shows the brackets as being vertical but they are actually about 45 degrees tilted and sit somewhat on top of the rack. Ya just gotta prop up the rack to get old bushings out and new ones in using a large screwdriver...but being careful as it is the steering rack. Lots of silicone on the new bushings and they can be pushed around the rack and into place no problem. all went fine including removing TONS of grease laying about.

Only problem I had in the overall job is when I went to put the sway bar bracket back in place...and was using new bolts....several of the bolts just began to spin long after they should have tightened. Seems the captive nuts are kinda trashed from rust etc. Got it together but want to see if my local guy can snug them up somehow. Maybe re-tap and use some larger bolts? A new front suspension complete member is $500 just for the part!!