transmission problem

Guest philipfrank

Guest philipfrank

my wife's Pathfinder doesn't seem to want to go in reverse most of the time. you can shift into reverse but nothing happens. on ocassion it will catch and work.

what the heck! do you think the tranny may be sho? i'm a good mechanic but no transmission expert. i plan to have a trusted mech check it out next week.

what do you guys think?

There have been a few folks in here with the same problem (myself included). Had to take mine to a tranny shop to fix since I was not getting the oil pressure needed to drive the reverse (pump was shot). While they had it open, the replaced a bunch of worn stuff and she runs like a champ now. Have a go at the search button and you'll probably find other instances. Good luck

I had the Exact same Problem with my auto. I found that the Best way to get it to catch is to Put it in reverse, Keep the Parking Brake and foot brake on, and Rev the motor. It Almost allways Catches that way, But Eventually you are going to break Something. You really should have it looked at like the Other Guys mentioned. OR go Manual!! :D

Guest philipfrank

i plan to have the fluid flushed and the filter changed and then begin trouble shooting. thanks for the advice. i hope i can stay away from a transmission replacement.

There are a million other posts on this. I've put, oh man, at least 50,000 on my pathy with this same problem. It's possible to live through but you have to not get yourself in a life or death reverse-needed situation. It will cost money, more than likely flush and filter won't do any good. So, it's up to you to decide if you'd rather wait til the whole tranny falls out or get it fixed now. Personally, I'd rather hold onto my money and have a slight inconvenience. It works sometimes, just not all the time. Usually doesn't work when I'm cranky and don't want to sit and dink with D,R,P,R,D,R,D,R,D,R until it finally decides to go in. Anyway, good luck with it and let us know what exactly was wrong if you go all the way.