swapping maxima dual cooling fan to pathfinder?

ahardb0dy

Was wondering if the dual cooling fan assembly out of a Nissan Maxima could be used on the pathfinder? Since they both use a variation of the VG30 engine the radiator should be about the same size, I know a thermostat of some type would have to be used but the fan for the AC could be wired thru a relay to come on with the AC anyway. What do you all think?

there's quite a few people running those fans. I personally had one until i broke the shroud and threw back on the the fan clutch. you can run dual thermostats or run a single with a manual switch to flip it on high or shut it off for water crossings. I cant remember if the maxima fan had dual speed or not. I know the quest fan does. The topic has been covered numerous times and I used a wiring diagram that someone had here for the setup.

Yep...it can be done and has...I had one laying around the shop, and intended on using it...but went with the Taurus fan instead...more CFM's IIRC. Go for it.

what year Taurus? is it a single or double fan? I figured the dual fan would be good, wire the main one to a thermostat and than wire the second one thru a relay to come on when the AC button is pressed in. Saw one at the junkyard today but it looked like it saw better days (maxima fan I meant)

The Taurus fan came out of a 90's model (93-4 IIRC). It is a single blad, but the CFM is very high. During testing, it about lifted off the shop floor and went as far as the jumpers would allow before the power was disconnected. I cannot recall the CFM's off the top of the my head...but it REALLY works...just make sure that it is a 3.8 cooling fan, NOT the 3.0 motor. Two WAY different cooling fans...

The surplus site for Nissan parts has these 2 available, just sent an e-mail to inquire about price, would one of these be better than the single larger fan from the Taurus? I think the fans for an automatic are more powerful, the one I bought for my Sentra is a beast and it was for a automatic. I paid $65 for the sentra dual fan unit and it listed for $307 so if I decide to go with the Maxima fan maybe can get as good or better deal, the surplus site usually will give me a better price as I buy a lot of stuff from them.

first 2 are from a automatic trans Maxima

219x5hx.jpg

2vxknlk.jpg

this is for a manual trans maxima

xpx4sz.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy

I do like the idea of having two separate motors, but I am serious, the Taurus fan really does an excellent job of keeping my truck cool. The only thing is it sucks the juice something fierce.

The Taurus fan is a dual-speed unit with nine fan blades. I have one which is only hooked up to the low speed side and it'll keep everything cool while wheeling in low gear, in August, in central Florida with the A/C on.

Here's the link to OEM Surplus, J.R. They've got some pretty decent prices on the stuff they have.

I think I deleted the e-mail but I beleive Norman replied saying they were out of the maxima cooling fans

how does the ford fan wire to have a high and low? Is it 2 separate wires or??

Edited by ahardb0dy

Yeah. Common ground, low wire and high wire. Like I said, I only have the low hooked up but I think you'd have to cut power to one before switching on the other, not have both leads hot at the same time. And low speed is plenty, but the way this thing flows air you might actually get better MPG on high since it'll act like a propellor on a P-51 Mustang and pull you down the road. :aok:

I just bought a new fan clutch for my PF, the old one was def. not working even though the engine temp never went above 1/4, but I can hear the fan now that it is working, Next junkyard trip I may pick up the taurus fan just in case I want to do the swap, my main concern was the AC wasn't getting enough air flow to get as cool as it should, I just had the AC repaired but it may need some more freon, from what the guys on the AC forum I go to are saying. Will the Taurus fan fit inside the stock shroud?

I removed my stock shroud and mounted the taurus fan right to the radiator...it worked perfectly with minor trimming on the taurus shroud towards the bottom.

Taurus E-Fan install

That link sort of is a write up about it. Kind of lacking, but I did it forever ago. It does show some pictures of the finished install.

got any pics of how the temp sender goes into the hose? I found this on another site if the sender has to go in the hose compared to going in between the rad. fins:

2isyv75.jpg

On my 90 sentra when I installed the Autometer water temp gauge (mechanical) The stock water outlet is not drilled and tapped for a sender but the overseas version of my engine is, (GA16i vs GA15), so I bought an extra water outlet from the junkyard and drilled and tapped the extra hole, pain in the butt part was finding someone with a tap that big didn't want to buy one just for this one job!, the water outlet even had an outline of where the hole was supposed to be.

I slid the temp probe into the upper hose at the radiator. Trouble is, the probe lead will cause a slight gap between the radiator inlet and the hose and the coolant will weep a bit. If you wrap a few layers of electrical tape around the radiator inlet it will create a place for the probe wire to press in once you clamp the hose and seal everything up.

Okay, basically the temp kit came with a piece of sponge like material that went in the upper rad hose on top of the probe...to stop leaks? Dunno, I had to use some Indian head to get it to stop leaking. Here are the requested pics...

tempsender1.jpg

tempsender2.jpg

The sensor is pretty large, and yes, it is suspended inside the hose...not exactly the way I would like it to be, but it works...and when I did the install money was an issue...I may go back and do that part over when I put a temp gauge bung in...