Fuel consumption

Slashjt

Check your brakes, maybe they are binding or seizing up on the sliding pins. There is a thread on a service for the sliding pins here, somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check your brakes, maybe they are binding or seizing up on the sliding pins. There is a thread on a service for the sliding pins here, somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment.

Mmm but wouldn't I get other symptoms?

Mmm but wouldn't I get other symptoms?

Well.... if they were binding, your rims would be hot to the touch after a drive. There would be quite a bit of brake dust generated which, if you hosed off with a gentle stream of water would show up as blackish particles in the water. You may also be able to smell them burning...but that depends on the compounds and the degree of binding.

Just remember; before you go poking around your brakes the compound dust is usually very harmful to your health, and can cause cancer. I always rinse my brakes down with water before I work on them to remove the dust.

Well.... if they were binding, your rims would be hot to the touch after a drive. There would be quite a bit of brake dust generated which, if you hosed off with a gentle stream of water would show up as blackish particles in the water. You may also be able to smell them burning...but that depends on the compounds and the degree of binding.

Just remember; before you go poking around your brakes the compound dust is usually very harmful to your health, and can cause cancer. I always rinse my brakes down with water before I work on them to remove the dust.

that's not happening so my brakes are Ok.

¿Any other theories? 11mpg is not nice on the wallet.

Just checked timming and it's dead on, also I took the dist. cap off and cleaned/sanded the contacts, some crap came off, but that doesn't explain a diference of 5-7mpg

Ok.. i'm about to go nuts.

I'm getting exactly 11.17MPG city !!!!

BUT.. I'm getting exactly 23MPG highway

How much do your rims weigh? How big/wide/heavy are your tires? What elevation are you at? You have added a lot of extra weight with sliders, bumpers, etc...right? Is your drive train well lubed (tranny, U joints, rear Differential)? You have custom exhaust, that may be having effects...

You got the point, there are many factors and each one can easily change the fuel economy a .5 to 1 MPG. Most of your factors are adding up negatively you, in town at least so it hints to weight, inertial mass/unsprung weight and fuel ratios upon acceleration.

So you understand how much things can be changed, I put manual locking hubs on the wife's R50 and got 2mpg more on the highway...

See my Pathy below, it is an automatic and I sometimes drive agressively. I get less than 15 mph in town and I've never gotten a good highway reading...

So what could cause normal consumption on the highway but HORRIBLE consumption on the city???

my driving? slow starts, normally shifting about 1500 - 2000rpm, smooth on the gas, foot of gas as soon as I see a red light, etc..

Shift higher man, you're lugging the engine too much and it struggling to build up speed. When I drove a 5 speed pathy I shifted around 2500-3000 and it got 16-18mpg city driving.

See the first answer and Adam is exactly correct. My first pathy was stick and I would shift between 2000 and 2500 only to cruise in that gear on flat without accelerating, 2500 and 3000 normally and 3000-4000 if I was trying to get some power for a hill or merging or something.

B

Exactly, 1500 is way too low. Dangerously probably, hear your valves floating yet?

I shift at 2500-3000 just cruising and like B said, around 4000 if I'm trying to get somewhere in a decent amount of time.

11.7 is pretty horrific mileage though, but keep in mind that if you bog down an engine as much as you probably are by shifting that low, it's going to suck almost twice as much fuel trying to create power where it just doesn't exist.

I have added weight to it, but I have the exact same mods than a friend (same rims (12 pound alloy), tires, lift, rollcage, sliders, blah, blah) and he's getting 16-18mpg city.

I'm driving at higher rpm now to see if I get an improvement.

I'll keep you posted

• 1 month later...

I sprayed throttle body cleaner through mine (while running) remove the airbox lid and have someone slowly increase engine speed while spraying the cleaning you will see alot of black exhaust smoke this is because the truck is running rich because of the spray. Stop spraying reduce to idle then rev the engine to about 3k a couple of times. Reassemble and your done. Simple way to increase your MPG's but your truck must be tuned up B)

o and make sure your airflow sensor is still hooked up while doing this ( leave the airbox lid on the hose) or your pathy will not start

I sprayed throttle body cleaner through mine (while running) remove the airbox lid and have someone slowly increase engine speed while spraying the cleaning you will see alot of black exhaust smoke this is because the truck is running rich because of the spray. Stop spraying reduce to idle then rev the engine to about 3k a couple of times. Reassemble and your done. Simple way to increase your MPG's but your truck must be tuned up B)

o and make sure your airflow sensor is still hooked up while doing this ( leave the airbox lid on the hose) or your pathy will not start

I already cleaned the throttle body... but i'll try what you're saying.