Emmisions Help

Cheers all

Well it's been a year, and time for emissions. My problem is im still abit intimidated by what to do. I failed last year, and recieved a year waver. Durring that time i rebuilt the motor. I believe im running rich right now(can smell alot of exhaust), and when i got my pf running after engine rebuilt, I basically plugged all the hoses, vacuum lines etc. Now im having to "reinstall" everything, and dont have a clue. so if you all could help it would be appreciated.

tomorrow im doing my MAF cleaning, and try to check my temp sensor(i just read this can cause me to run rich)

1st-what is the most important emissions device(other than o2 sensor) EGR? And if it is egr, where do the vacuum lines, etc connect?

2nd-on the drivers side, there is a canister(black and round, carbon cansiter?)what does it do, and how do i wire the vacuum lines?

3rd-infront of the canister above(near the grill, and next to the coil) is a clamshapped looking box(smog box?) that has more lines running to it with some valves etc, My problem is a)dont know what the hell it does, b)how it's wired. and lasty ITS RUSTED OUT. I have checked the scrap yards for a year looking for a replacement, and they are either rusted out, or somone else got before me.

4th-My chiltons has a real bad "wiring" diagram i cant make sense out of, could somone please simplify, what vacuums go where etc.

If you guys would please give me some guidence, and list what the most important emissions devices to the least.

Thanks folks

..and try to check my temp sensor(i just read this can cause me to run rich)

That is correct, check the wire going to the temp sensor as well. Correct engine timing (15 +/-2 degress TDC) will also effect the level of all emissions that are checked (HC, NOX, 2CO) as being too far advanced or retarded will make the engine run 'lean' or 'rich'.

1st-what is the most important emissions device(other than o2 sensor) EGR? And if it is egr, where do the vacuum lines, etc connect?

The catalytic converter.

EGR is the main factor on this engine in controlling NOX emissions, the three way cat controls mostly hydrocarbons (HC) and carbon monoxide (2CO) and to some degree NOX. One way to see if your vehicle cat is working properly is if there is water coming out the tail pipe. The cat converts unspent hydrocarbons to H2O.

2nd-on the drivers side, there is a canister (black and round, carbon cansiter?)what does it do, and how do i wire the vacuum lines?

That is the emissions cannister. It has 3 lines going to it. One is the fuel vapor line that goes to the tank, one to the throttle and the other to the air intake. The cannister should have a label imprinted on the top of it of what hoses go where. I believe the top is to the throttle, below goes to the tank and the one by itself to the air intake, but thats from memory. There is a filter in the bottom of the cannister. If you do hard core mudding it is probably clogged.

3rd-infront of the canister above(near the grill, and next to the coil) is a clamshapped looking box(smog box?) that has more lines running to it with some valves etc, My problem is a)dont know what the hell it does, b)how it's wired. and lasty ITS RUSTED OUT. I have checked the scrap yards for a year looking for a replacement, and they are either rusted out, or somone else got before me.

That is the PAIR valve. ( Pulsed Air Induction Reed Valve) It is a secondary emissions control part. For all intents and purposes, it is the smog pump. It introduces fresh air into the exhaust upstream of the catalytic converter during deceleration and extended periods of idle to help keep the catalytic converter at operational temperatures. Why your vehicle has it is a long story.

Very common for this part to rust out. If everything else is in proper order you may be able to pass without it.

4th-My chiltons has a real bad "wiring" diagram i cant make sense out of, could somone please simplify, what vacuums go where etc.

You need a copy of the factory service manual.

When you go to have the vehicle tested, make sure the vehicle is at proper operating temp, run it up at highway speeds for awhile before going.

Also, run 87 octane fuel, preferably with as little ethynol in it. Try to have emissions done in the summer to help as well since the 'winter mix' gas will not be in circulation. Make sure there is no engine cleaner, injector cleaner or anything else in the fuel tank when having it tested.

This will lower emissions of HC and NOX some.

Wow!

Thanks

Fill everyone in on where i am at. I finally figure out the aiv, plus i took apart the whole thing, dumped 5 cans of breakcleaner in it and got all the odd's and ends working(ie reads, vacuum lines etc) I think the solenoid is crapped, so i bypasses it and ran it to the valve that it enables. The filter that was rusted out is now somewhat functional again(by the looks of it, it's only purpose is to.....filter :P. Either way I have notices an improvement, ie a reduction in what i smell(before sitting in cab i could smell exhaust, now i dont). I also believe my catalytic is trash(There is NO water vapor comming out) so i started to soak bolts holding cat in, and on third(payday) im swapping in a new cat. Hopefully this will fix my issues.

I appreciate all the advice folks, and to make it up, this comming month Ill hit the U-Pull-It yard here in albuquerque and grab you folks what ever gear you need. (they usually have 5+ wd's on the yard, and because were a desert, there are tons of great parts)

thanks again

Scara