Ac System Question.

so i have all the components put back in my pathy. my question is before i take it down to the shop can i test the system for leaks with compresed air?? i just dont want to take my pathy down and have to pay some rediculus amout of $$$$ to have them tell me there's a leak.

I can't tell you exactly why, but I don't think that would be a good idea.

The refrigerant acts as a lubricant/coolant for the compressor, you might blow out the seals, there is a vacuum involved so pushing compressed air in the system would be the exact opposite of how its supposed to operate, the compressor prolly won't switch on since there's an internal pressure switch to prevent it fron operating when theres low refrigerant...

before any shop that knows what they are doing will charge your system they will pull a vacuum on it and let the system try to hold it before adding the freon, they shouldn't charge much to at least do the vacuum part. Any leak that it may have will show up here before any freon is put in and wasted. The guy I go to doesn't even charge to check out a car with his gauges. He just replaced my expansion valve, pulled a vacuum on it, replaced an o-ring and charged it plus replaced the master cylinder and bled it for $50!! can't beat it.

he takes care of me, I had him remove the 4 speed trans and install my new 5 speed and the clutch cable in my sentra and he charged me $80!!

Quite a charitable fellow

Shops either do vacuum or charge with nitrogen to find leaks. compressed air is a big no-no because you can put water in your system and that would be very bad...

Jose