High Idle - Cleaned Tbs, Maf, Contacts. Please Help A Noob!

elcid

Hi guys.

I am a Noob, so please help me out.

My 1994 pathy auto is idling at 1000 RPM once warmed up. This issue became apparent right after I did some basic maintenance like cleaning the Throttle body, MAF contacts, TPS contacts etc. I also replaced a faulty fuel injector. Now, I cannot get the truck to idle at its normal 700-800 range.

Also, I have a problem starting the truck from cold/hot. It takes several cranks and a bit touch of gas to get it started. Once running, it runs smooth. no problem what so ever.

I am thinking I may have the vacuum hoses connected wrong ( from the canister to the egr to the AIV ? ) I disconnected them while removing the planum in order to replace the injector.

I would appreciate if someone could take a pic or show me a diagram on how the vacuum hoses connect to and from egr and the canister.

thanks guys.

sorry about my Noobiness!

Did you turn the TPS sensor at all? I've heard that having to re-adjust them is a bitch...

Re-check the wiring on the MAF sensor as well. They have a tendancy to become brittle and bent/partially disconnected over time from smacking the hood.

Did you turn the TPS sensor at all? I've heard that having to re-adjust them is a bitch...

Re-check the wiring on the MAF sensor as well. They have a tendancy to become brittle and bent/partially disconnected over time from smacking the hood.

Hi,

thanks for the reply.

I did not turn the tps sensor. I just unplugged the contacts, gave it a good cleaning and threw some dielectric lub in them. They had green corrosion going on.

Ok, go into the Garage section and pinned at the top is a thread that has a link to a free Factory Service Manual for your year. There is your vacuum diagram and much more... ;)

ALso, check to see if you have any vacuum leaks. Visual first and then spray any suspected areas with a flammable aerosol (wd-40, carb cleaner, etc) with the truck running. If the idle increases, you have an intake vacuum leak. Please use common sense, safety glasses, etc...

B

Ok, go into the Garage section and pinned at the top is a thread that has a link to a free Factory Service Manual for your year. There is your vacuum diagram and much more... ;)

ALso, check to see if you have any vacuum leaks. Visual first and then spray any suspected areas with a flammable aerosol (wd-40, carb cleaner, etc) with the truck running. If the idle increases, you have an intake vacuum leak. Please use common sense, safety glasses, etc...

B

I don't think WD40 is flammable any more.....thought they changed that a few years ago.

I ran into a similar problem, and it turned out to be the "idle up" portion of the AC system. Loose/dirty connection fixed it. Cannot remember the technical name of that circuit, but hey its 0600 and I'm dreading work...