Transfer Case Fluid

I am getting ready for a big trip this weekend and got to looking at the transfer case.

I opened the top plug on the back of the transfer case to try and see the level and I got a little surprise.

This came out.

DSC03555.jpg

The liquid is a light brownish oil that is somewhat clear when you see it on your fingers. Sort of looks and smells like gear oil.

The transfer case on a 2001 pathfinder is suppose to have automatic transmission fluid (dextron III) in it, no?

If someone did replace it with gear oil, could it have caused damage?

Edited by Northernpathy

Looking through the manuals, it does say to use ATF in the transfer case.

check_transfer.jpg

changing_tranfer.jpg

List of oils and lubricants says yes as well.

fluids_lubs.jpg

Maybe someone put in gear oil when they were suppose to use ATF in my transfer case?

Edited by Northernpathy

I doubt greatly that someone replaced it with gear oil... Your TC (like mine) contains clutch plates that would simply not work with gear oil. Doing the trail you did last weekend, you would simply not have been able to climb anything without your TC slipping like crazy. What is happening is the same thing that did happened to me the first time I change my TC oil too... Simply that it was never changed... Mine was dark black when changed.... Now I change it every 2-3 trips that I go in water higher than the TC...

Like I said, if it was gear oil, your TC would NEVER have been able to lock and hold while you're were going up. The friction plates need what's in the ATF oil in order to stick... sleep well! :aok:

Edited by fleurys

Thanks man. Puts my head to rest. Was worried for a bit.

I doubt it was ever changed as well. Guy who owned it before me only brought it to one dealer and I have the report which says he only ever got the oil changed. I doubt the transfer case fluid was ever changed either. The plug was pretty hard to pop loose and when I got it out the threads inside looked new, as if it had never been opened before.

I will flush it out tomorrow. I think I will also change out the fluid in the rear diff as well. Doubt that was ever changed either. I want the truck to be in good working order for the 2,000km or so I am going to do this weekend ;)

No prob... Don't forget the front diff too... This one gets forgotten most of the time...and the seals are not that great on it, so if you ever went in high water, i'm almost certain traces of it will be in it... This one though is a bitch to fill back with a hand pump... Last time I bought an electric pump...this one : http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Marine/BoatingAccessories/PRD~0799008P/Oil%252BChanger%252B12V.jsp?locale=en

The plastic tubes are crap...once you change them for rubber hose, this thing is a charm...

S.