Difference In Odometer To Trip Odometer?

I filled my 94 pathfinder up last week at 185,868, got gas this morning and filled it up again at 186,131 which is 263 miles, but the odometer was saying I drove 291 miles, the truck took 17.1 gallons which is close to what it took last week (16.8), I think the speed sensor (not sure if that is the correct name for it) that runs the speedometer is not the correct one for this truck as the previous owner replaced the tranny and transfer case and the speedometer appears to be reading faster than the truck is running. Question is: if the speed sensor is not the correct part does the speedometer and the trip odometer both run off the same sensor?? I thought I drove 291 miles now after subtracting the starting and ending mileage and getting a different amount of miles I'm confused. Anyone have any idea on this please?? Thanks

ok, but in my case a 28 mile difference??? Does the speed sensor, this:

juxvfd.jpg

what sends the signal to the speedometer??

I know my truck has 4.62 gears per the fender tag, it is a "SE" and came with and still has 31" tires on it. I also know some pathfinders have a 4.37 gear ratio were any other ratios available in the pathfinder or 4WD pickups?

I can tell my speedometer is running high but can't see the speed sensor making such a big difference in the speed.

is the above pic what the sensor looks like? as the FSM shows this:

qn1rfp.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy

Ok, drove the pathfinder to work this morning, switched the trip odometer over to "B" and waited until the odometer hit the next number than reset the trip odometer. watched both as I drove exactly 1 mile, they are both running exactly the same. Kept an eye on it as I drove into work and they still stayed exactly the same. So I guess I must have read the mileage wrong last week. I still think the speedometer is running faster and am going to check that on the way home from work tonight. Thanks

checked the speedometer tonight on the way home from work against my buddies Toyota Tacoma and it was exactly what his was reading so I guess it's correct after all, may just be that I'm not used to driving the pathfinder it has been a long time since I drove the hardbody I used to own, ok check that off the list, next...