New Ring And Pinon For 1998 Pathy

Timmons

Any recommendations of the correct Ring and Pinon set up once you have increased your Tire size to a 265/70R/17? In order to get more torque, correct speedometer and timing.

Thanks,

Tim

none. Do you have an auto or manual pathy?

Auto has 4.6 gears

manuals have 4.3 gears.

Jose

I have a Manual pathy Jose. Heard you can change out ring and pinon grears after an upgrade to the rims and tires that will correct your transmition timing, torque and speedometer. Any thoughts?

Timing?

Opps, I meant engine timing.

Here was the quote" New gears allow for more torque, accurate speedometer readings and proper engine timing before or after installation of new tire size"

Timmons,

Check out the build plate in the inside of your driver's side door jam or engine bay and it will list the gears. Under 'axle code' it will either say HG43 (4.363 gears) or HG46 (4.636) gears. Although I think 4.3s are more common in manuals and 4.6s are mostly found under autos, there are some exceptions. I ended up with a manual transmission and 4.6 gears.

Post up what you have and I might have a solution for you.

Wouldn't Frontier/Xterra gears work? Don't they have like 4.8 gears or something?

I'm not sure about engine timing. That shouldn't change with the wheels/tires. May lose some torque at the wheels, and speedometer might be off, but I doubt by that much (when I moved to 31's, it actually corrected mine).

Jose

Timmons,

Check out the build plate in the inside of your driver's side door jam or engine bay and it will list the gears. Under 'axle code' it will either say HG43 (4.363 gears) or HG46 (4.636) gears. Although I think 4.3s are more common in manuals and 4.6s are mostly found under autos, there are some exceptions. I ended up with a manual transmission and 4.6 gears.

Post up what you have and I might have a solution for you.

I have the HG46 (4.636) gears. I just heard you can improve your bottom end torque more by changing the ring and pinon which would help.