Any Info On How To Change A Inner Tie-Rod?

Anyone have any info/pics? The book on my pathy doesn't give good directions.... From what I know about tie-rods I need to count the times I turn the bolt to the outer tie-rod, and to take the inner out I need to take the boot off, and modify a 1-1/2" wrench to fit with a grinder to get the old one off while trying not to spin the gears in the rack. Then put the new one on and put the new cotter pin in to keep it from backing off.... Any tips?

Edited by muddfildvaynes

Instead of modifying a 1-1/2" wrench, you can buy an inner tie rod tool, which makes things a whole lot easier. You don't need to worry about "spinning the gears in the rack". The trickiest parts about doing this are unbending the inner tie rod's lock washer flat, so that the inner tie rod socket will unscrew, and reinstalling the boot. If you don't have the correct boot clamp tightening tool, it's a chore to figure out how to tighten it without screwing up the clamp.

You're correct that you need to count the threads showing at the outer tie rod, so that you can get back to reasonable alignment. BTW, it's completely unnecessary to remove the outer tie rod end from the knuckle. You can just unscrew the tie rod. There's a hex/flattened section in the middle of the tie rod that accommodates a 13mm open-ended wrench.