Dead Pathy Springs To Life !

sumguy67

OK.... this is weird.

About a year ago my wife came home for lunch with the pathfinder. It was running great. When she went to go back to work it was dead..... no electrical at all.

So I spent days checking grounds, relays, key switch..... everything. I could not find another place to poke my tester. Went at it again a week later and still nothing.

I bought another Pathfinder (of course) and life went on.

Well today, after playing with some pictures (see "Stubby Pathy" in General) I became inspired and I decided to go visit the old Pathfinder ( I have a bit of a car graveyard in the back).

I put the cables to it and it fired right up!!!!!! What the H-E-double-hockey sticks ?!?!?!?!

Took it for a rip and it's like nothing ever happened.

Does anyone have any idea what could have happened?

dead alternator?

also pull the tank access cover behind the rear carpet and make sure the fuel sender isn't corroding

Edited by Tungsten

dead alternator?

also pull the tank access cover behind the rear carpet and make sure the fuel sender isn't corroding

Even boosting would not provide power. Now it's fine?

You checked the terminals on the battery? Made sure they were tightened properly?

Yes, in fact I even tried a different battery. Plus I boosted to to ground and the hot line.

It's just weird.

Nice. Park it before it leaves you stranded randomly and then fix it...

Yes! Now that it's getting power I can run the codes and hope something pops up.

I should probably locate the main power relay and get a spare.

I bet you had a faulty ground, check the cable and connection from the negative post to the chassis.

That is wierd yet cool that it would do that...

B

I remember having a similar problem with my old 87. Turned out to be one of those fuses in the engine bay, with the plastic covers. Too long ago to remember what I did to fix it tho.

I remember having a similar problem with my old 87. Turned out to be one of those fuses in the engine bay, with the plastic covers. Too long ago to remember what I did to fix it tho.

Aren't the "fuses" in the engine bay all the relays? First thing I thought was the Main relay, but he said he checked those, so who knows.

Those "fuses" go bad and you wont visibly see so. fusible links are what tley're called.

:yeahthat:

You haven't said anything around the Pathfinder that you might put it on the NY craigslist for sale have you?

Those "fuses" go bad and you wont visibly see so. fusible links are what tley're called.

I remember battling fusible links in my '85 Rx-7. A week of electrical issues resolved with the wiggle of a wire. It just came loose.

I'll re-check those before the day is done!

Aren't the "fuses" in the engine bay all the relays? First thing I thought was the Main relay, but he said he checked those, so who knows.

I had a window relay go that worked some days and not others.

I think the window power booster started to go and was drawing too much current.

I ended up jumping it with a fuse and forgot about it.

If I remember correctly they work like self-resetting breakers as well.

So I think I will get a spare for the main.

I remember battling fusible links in my '85 Rx-7. A week of electrical issues resolved with the wiggle of a wire. It just came loose.

I'll re-check those before the day is done!

I had an 84 RX7 GSL, I remember those damned things.

my pathy did the same thing this winter when it was cold and humid. but i had some electrical it was doing like if i would try to start it on DRIVE instead of PARK, maybe i just have a faulty starter

But after 15 minutes of turning the key the car started it was -40 outside but i swear its not about the temperature. the car wasnt just cranking at all and the battery was full

my pathy did the same thing this winter when it was cold and humid. but i had some electrical it was doing like if i would try to start it on DRIVE instead of PARK, maybe i just have a faulty starter

But after 15 minutes of turning the key the car started it was -40 outside but i swear its not about the temperature. the car wasnt just cranking at all and the battery was full

Did you have ANY power? Mine lost all electrical power.