Installation Of K&n Intake Causing "service Engine Soon", Halp?

I purchased a K&N Cold Air Intake from another forum member for my 03 3.5 SE and received it promptly with all the parts, however, immediately upon startup after installation I received a "Service engine soon" light. I've heard of the intakes setting off the check engine, but never the service engine. Further, there were 2 outlets for vacuum hoses on the intake, 1 vacuum hose that was pre viously attached to the airbox and an "extra" outlet for a vacuum hose that the K&N instructions say attached to the stock intake tube, however that attachment was closed off on my stock intake tube with no hose running to it, so what do I do about the spare outlet? Should I just block it off? anyone with insight into my dilemma I would greatly appreciate the help...

sometimes the ECU needs to be reflashed to be able to relearn the modification that was done. you go from a constrictive stock airbox to an open, cone filter with a wider diameter inlet. there's more air coming in, and the MAF is unable to properly match the mixture because it's unfamiliar.

you can either get an OBDII reader and see what the code is actually saying, or do the SES light flash with the screw method and see what's going on. you should also be able to reset the light with the screw method as well.

sometimes the ECU needs to be reflashed to be able to relearn the modification that was done. you go from a constrictive stock airbox to an open, cone filter with a wider diameter inlet. there's more air coming in, and the MAF is unable to properly match the mixture because it's unfamiliar.

you can either get an OBDII reader and see what the code is actually saying, or do the SES light flash with the screw method and see what's going on. you should also be able to reset the light with the screw method as well.

forgive my newbishness, what is the "screw method"?

Also, is there a cheap way to reflash the ecu?

Edited by pathlesstaken

I don't quite follow what your saying, but both vacuum ports on the side of my K&N intake tube were used, and I had no SES...If you don't have everything covered then you are missing one of the vacuum tubes...

the screw method refers to turning the screw on the ECU, usually located under the pass. seat, there are 2 lights a red one and a green one, the screw should be turned all the way counter clockwise before you even touch it, to read the codes, turn the screw fully clockwise until it stops, watch the blinking lights, the ECU will cycle thru the different modes, first mode is one flash, red and green together, second mode is 2 flashes red and green together, you want the third mode which is red and green together 3 blinks, right after the third blink turn the screw fully counter clockwise than observe the blinks, the red light will blink first than the green, count how many times each color blinks, than post the code, the code for all ok is 5 red 5 green. after you read what ever code there is they will repeat or will flash another code if there is one, when you are done turn the screw fully clockwise again, wait until you get to mode 5, 5 red 5 green blinks than turn the screw fully counter clockwise again and you are done.

this method applies to earlier pathfinders not sure if this method is the same for your 2003 perhaps someone else can clarify

I don't quite follow what your saying, but both vacuum ports on the side of my K&N intake tube were used, and I had no SES...If you don't have everything covered then you are missing one of the vacuum tubes...

http://www.knfilters.com/instructions/57-6011_inst.pdf

If you click that link it will take you to the installation instructions for the intake I have. In step #3, in the upper left hand corner of the photo, the arrow points to a vacuum hose that attaches to the stock intake tube, later in step #16 this hose and another hose (airbox) are to be attached to the K&N intake tube. The vacuum hose in question (intake) doesn't exsist on my truck. it just isn't there, I looked everywhere.

Since you installed the intake is your idle now higher than 750 RPM's? If that's the case then the DTC is for the high idle and you need to reset the ECU and do the re-learning procedures. On your 2003 there isn't a screw method, but rather a pedal method where you reset the ECU via a series of accelerator pedal presses. I also have the K&N intake on my 2003 Pathfinder, I ran into the same problem with the two vacuum inlets on the K&N intake tube. I spoke to the engineering staff at K&N and it turns out that the extra vacuum inlet is not necessary for the 2003 and 2004 Pathfinder. It is simply a vacuum line that was removed after the 2002 models. I would just recommend putting a bypass cap over the extra inlet.

Edited by PwninOBrien

Since you installed the intake is your idle now higher than 750 RPM's? If that's the case then the DTC is for the high idle and you need to reset the ECU and do the re-learning procedures. On your 2003 there isn't a screw method, but rather a pedal method where you reset the ECU via a series of accelerator pedal presses. I also have the K&N intake on my 2003 Pathfinder, I ran into the same problem with the two vacuum inlets on the K&N intake tube. I spoke to the engineering staff at K&N and it turns out that the extra vacuum inlet is not necessary for the 2003 and 2004 Pathfinder. It is simply a vacuum line that was removed after the 2002 models. I would just recommend putting a bypass cap over the extra inlet.

I believe it was idling around 1100 rpm's while in park, maybe 8 or 900 in drive. Thanks for the info, now I have to figure out what the pedal prcedure is, is that info in the owners manual?

Is this the same procedure as the "Idle Air Volume" relearning that you posted a topic on in nicoclub?

Edited by pathlesstaken

I believe it was idling around 1100 rpm's while in park, maybe 8 or 900 in drive. Thanks for the info, now I have to figure out what the pedal prcedure is, is that info in the owners manual?

Is this the same procedure as the "Idle Air Volume" relearning that you posted a topic on in nicoclub?

You'll need to first reset the ECU, then complete the Idle Air Volume relearning procedure as well as Throttle Valve Close Position re-learning and Accelerator Released Position re-learning. They are all very simple and yes, all can be found in my posts on nicoclub.

Just for giggles, you didnt install the Air Flow Meter backwards? Didnt leave anything unplugged(electrical)? Pull the codes and post them up(you can have this done for free at most parts houses).

I have installed several of these intakes on 3.5's and never had to do the Idle Air Volume Relearn.

Just for giggles, you didnt install the Air Flow Meter backwards? Didnt leave anything unplugged(electrical)? Pull the codes and post them up(you can have this done for free at most parts houses).

I have installed several of these intakes on 3.5's and never had to do the Idle Air Volume Relearn.

Haha, no, didn't install it backwards, that would take a lot of work as it can only go on in one direction. The only thing that plugs in is the sensor plug. I reset the ECU and did the learning procedures, the SES is off and the truck is idling steady at 750 rpm. However I don't know if I did the idle air learning correctly as I couldn't get the SES to blink during the procedure.