Installing New Disc Brake Pads On Read - 89 Pathy

hpm123

Are the caliper slides free? The calipers could possibly not be moving enough to fit over the pads... Also did you get the caliper piston compley in?

Yes, caliper assembly floats freely. Put a light coating of silicone grease on the pin, and it slides side-to-side w/o any binding. And yes, the caliper piston is fully pushed into the bore. Used a c-clamp and old brake pad and it's as far in as it will go. I tried tapping on the pin-bolt bushing on the caliper assy, but it's stationary... When I lower the caliper it slides over the pads, up to the point where the pin bolt bushing hits a collar on the mating pin bolt hole on the torgue member.. I'm stumped -

I can't see it in my head. Any chance of pictures??

B

yea, and I'm having a tough time describing it as well, which doesn't help. I'll try to get a snapshot and get posted. I think what I'm going to do in the interim, is run up to the Nissan shop and take the pads I'm currently working with, and do a side-by-side, if they'll work w/ me on that. If there's a difference in pad thickness (which would give me more lateral movement) then I'll pony up for the Nissan pads and take the AAP pads back. Will followup when I have something -

try cleaning the inside of the hole where the pin slides in..theres probably a lot of dirt inside there. I had a similar problem when I did my 94..theres so much dirt inside those holes where the pin slides in which will offset the caliper which makes it not to go all the way in coz of the darn dirt compacted in the bottom of that hole

Try taking the top pin off and try sliding the caliper with the pads to the disc and I can almost assure you itll slide in just fine

Edited by PATHRIDER

try cleaning the inside of the hole where the pin slides in..theres probably a lot of dirt inside there. I had a similar problem when I did my 94..theres so much dirt inside those holes where the pin slides in which will offset the caliper which makes it not to go all the way in coz of the darn dirt compacted in the bottom of that hole

Try taking the top pin off and try sliding the caliper with the pads to the disc and I can almost assure you itll slide in just fine

Gentlemen - I appreciate the responses. I feel the fool here. I made a run up to the Nissan shop and got to speak w/ a mechanic. On the bottom of the caliper assy, is that bushing that has the rubber boots on it, that the pin bolt goes through that secures into the torgue member. That bushing on the caliper assy slides laterally, and that's what wasn't happening on mine. It was like stuck. I tapped lightly on the bushing with a hammer yesterday, but it didn't budge so I thought it was stationary. However knowing it is supposed to move, I finally got it moving side-side and got it pushed in enough to where I can now fully lower the caliper onto the torque member..all good... Geesh.. Not sure I could have made that any more difficult if I had tried...thanks again for assisting -

Edited by hpm123