Brake Fluid Flush

vanuatoo

I'm going to flush brake fluid with classic method. pumping brake pedal and dealing with air bleeder valve.

Do you know how much fluid will I need for that, max?

is 1 quart enough for the whole job?

What exactly is a "quirt?"

I would grab 2 quarts of DOT4 fluid, it's better to have too much than not enough. Having more allows a more torough job and gives some room for error.

or you could split the calipers, clean all the standing gunk out, check the seals and then bleed fresh dot # into the whole system...

Edited by MY1PATH

or you could split the calipers, clean all the standing gunk out, check the seals and then bleed fresh dot 4 into the whole system...

That sure does sound like an awful lot of work! hah.

it's safe to mix DOT 3 and 4, I think it has a higher wet boiling point

DOT 5 is fully synthetic, and will turn DOT 3 and 4 into mush. DOT 5 can only be used on new, or FRESH brake systems.

DOT3 and DOT4 are 100% interchangable, both are vegitable based and the only difference is DOT4 has a higher boiling point, which is shown through less brake fade and better pedal feel after hard stops, and absorbs less atmospheric moisture than DOT3, meaning the brake pressure remains more consistant over time by moving only brake fluid instead of built up water. DOT5 is a synthetic with an even higher boiling point and cannot be mixed with any other brake fluid. DOT4 is a better fluid to use for these reasons.

Edited by Kingman

• 2 months later...

On the topic of bleeding brakes, I assume there is a fairly easy to use bleeder valve on the calipers? It's been a while since I bled brakes (and that was on a Miata) but I don't remember having to purchase special bleeders or speed bleeders.

I'm ordering parts to replace my front pads and rotors and want to make sure I have everything I need to do the job complete with a fresh fluid replace and bleeding.

Now if I could just figure out a way to turn my rear drums into discs.....