1997 Le A/c Compressor

MJBBMANO

My A/C compressor has been making noise now for at least 2 years. Sometimes when the cold air isn't coming out I have to Press the A/C button a few times and it kicks in.

My question is, If the A/C compressor stops working all together will it cause my truck to turn off while driving or not turn on at all? I'm driving this week to Tampa which is about 60 miles and don't want to get stuck.

I have a 1997 Pathfinder LE.

Thanks in advance!

as long as the AC clutch is not engaged it shouldn't effect anything if the compressor takes a crap, usually when you turn on the AC if the clutch doesn't engage it means the freon is low, one way to determine if it is low is to locate the low pressure switch on or near the accumulator/drier, unplug the connector and use a jumper between the 2 pins in the plug, if the clutch engages it would indicate the freon is low.

The compressor making noise, first you need to verify if it is the compressor itself or it may be an idler pulley if your truck has one. On my 90 sentra I was hearing a noise and pinpointed it down to the compressor, took off the belt that just runs the compressor and the noise stopped, my car does have the idler or tensioner pulley but noise was not coming from it.

as long as the AC clutch is not engaged it shouldn't effect anything if the compressor takes a crap, usually when you turn on the AC if the clutch doesn't engage it means the freon is low, one way to determine if it is low is to locate the low pressure switch on or near the accumulator/drier, unplug the connector and use a jumper between the 2 pins in the plug, if the clutch engages it would indicate the freon is low.

The compressor making noise, first you need to verify if it is the compressor itself or it may be an idler pulley if your truck has one. On my 90 sentra I was hearing a noise and pinpointed it down to the compressor, took off the belt that just runs the compressor and the noise stopped, my car does have the idler or tensioner pulley but noise was not coming from it.

I added freon like 2 months ago but it wasn't that. When I turn the A/C on you hear a loud click. I really don't know what the clutch is. Is it something I can find?

Thanks

mine did the same thing end of last fall. your bearings in the clutch are going out. not to far into the future its going to start whining like a power steering pump without fluid, then sieze up. if its running while it seizes, it'll just break the clutch loose. your engine is way more powerful than the compressor, if it doesnt break the clutch, the belt will just slip around it. i just took my belt off for the time being. you can rebuild the clutch housing, but its WAY easier to replace the whole thing, and more likely to live longer.

mine did the same thing end of last fall. your bearings in the clutch are going out. not to far into the future its going to start whining like a power steering pump without fluid, then sieze up. if its running while it seizes, it'll just break the clutch loose. your engine is way more powerful than the compressor, if it doesnt break the clutch, the belt will just slip around it. i just took my belt off for the time being. you can rebuild the clutch housing, but its WAY easier to replace the whole thing, and more likely to live longer.

Thanks for the replies. My A/C still cools the same. The only thing is that when I put the blower switch to "2" its very low like "1". When I put it at "3" its like being on "2". Like I said earlier its been doing this for 3 years.

When I put a new compressor in that compressor will also have a clutch? Does anyone know the part number or part name I need? I have seen some that say clutch or no clutch. Are there any other parts I need to change that are part of the compressor?

So I'm ok ok to drive to Tampa and back. (65-70 miles each way).

Thanks again.....

you can buy the compressor with the clutch or without it, I would get one with the clutch that way you don't have to mess with it.Most auto part stores require you to replace the accumulator/drier at the same time as the compressor or they won't warranty the compressor. My tech told me the aftermarket rebuilt compressors suck and are only good for about a year, so far he has been right as in my Sentra I have replaced it 2 years in a row so far and it is making noise again, but now the auto parts store won't replace it.

Here is a good site that sells all the AC parts you may need, they are usually a little cheaper than the auto part stores:

this should take you right to the 97 pathfinder page

http://www.ackits.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=01&Category_Code=Nissan97Pathfinder_3-3

in comparison on my local auto parts page the compressor goes for $314

Edited by ahardb0dy

you can buy the compressor with the clutch or without it, I would get one with the clutch that way you don't have to mess with it.Most auto part stores require you to replace the accumulator/drier at the same time as the compressor or they won't warranty the compressor. My tech told me the aftermarket rebuilt compressors suck and are only good for about a year, so far he has been right as in my Sentra I have replaced it 2 years in a row so far and it is making noise again, but now the auto parts store won't replace it.

Here is a good site that sells all the AC parts you may need, they are usually a little cheaper than the auto part stores:

http://www.ackits.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=01&Category_Code=Nissan97Pathfinder_3-3

thanks for the info.

I made it to Tampa and back. :)

some auto part stores offer a AC bypass pulley, but if the AC compressor is the only thing on that particular belt than you can either remove that belt or take the compressor out completely.

Just noticed you have a 99 pathfinder, a manual I just checked shows the AC compressor belt has a tension pulley and that's it, so you would be able to just remove the belt, or the AC compressor and the tension pulley if you want it completely out

Edited by ahardb0dy

• 2 weeks later...

Is this something I can change myself? the only exp I have is changing oil and spark plugs. Would I need any special tools?

• 3 months later...

some auto part stores offer a AC bypass pulley, but if the AC compressor is the only thing on that particular belt than you can either remove that belt or take the compressor out completely.

Just noticed you have a 99 pathfinder, a manual I just checked shows the AC compressor belt has a tension pulley and that's it, so you would be able to just remove the belt, or the AC compressor and the tension pulley if you want it completely out

My A/C compressor finally died. I only get hot air coming out now.

i finally got my system fixed up. i picked up a used compressor for $60, a the biggest can of artic freeze with a guage, and i'm back in business. took about an hour to get the whole can back into the system, but i'm gettin ice cold a/c again. considering you live in florida, takin the belt off and trashing the system i wouldn't recommend.