Electrical Help Needed

ahardb0dy

94 pathfinder, one of the previous owners for what ever reason cut 4 wires out of 6 off of one of the relay sockets under the hood and hooked the wires up to a standard relay, the relay is just forward of where the wiper bottle mounts, the socket that was cut out is Grey and there is also a blue relay right next to this one. I think this relay controls whether the truck can be started in gear or not, If I disconnect the power wire that they ran directly to the battery the truck won't even crank, when the relay is connected it will crank no matter what gear it is in (ex. park, reverse, drive, 1,2,etc), I know it's not supposed to do that. There are 2 wires in the factory relay socket that aren't even hooked up and I think this may have something to do with it cranking no matter where the auto shifter is. I see these 3 plugs in the electrical section of the factory service manual I think it may be one of these"

4m - park/neutral position relay (VG30E engine A/T model)

9m - inhibitor relay (wagon A/T model with ASCD)

51m - A/T indicator relay

problem is I can't find a diagram that shows the same color wires that this relay socket has anywhere in the service manual, as I said there are 6 wires going to this relay socket, it is Grey, 2 of the wires are thicker than the other four and, (I cut one of these relay sockets out of a truck at the junkyard so I could repair the harness in my truck but I don't have it in front of me right now) but I think one of the thick wires is black with a pink stripe and the other thick wire is black with a different color stripe, I will post the colors tomorrow. Just wanted to know if someone could tell me what this relay is for and where I might find the diagram showing the wire colors in the FSM?

Thanks

Yeah that relay is so the truck won't start in anything but park or neutral. I bet the relay died and the person was just too cheap/lazy and did it that way. I had to replace it on my other pathy as well.

that's what I was thinking also, have to get a grey relay so I can re-wire in the new relay socket I got from the junkyard and see if it works the way it is supposed to as right now it will crank in and gear which is not good