My 95Se Build Thread !

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to the forum. I’m in the Greater Toronto Area in Ontario and am 24 years old. Picked up a 95 SE two weeks ago to play with, and it's taking a completely different direction than originally planned. When I bought it I intended to clean it up and drive it daily as it was. Then I didn't want to go through with the project anymore and I listed the vehicle for sale. However, there’s something about the truck that’s really making me want to build it, and I've realized that I can put in a few hours of work at a time here and there and still get it to work.

My first issue is that the car is currently not safetied. It needs a few front suspension components, and a new passenger door lock. (my first post on the forum was about the dysfunctional doorlock :D). My second and biggest issue is that it has large amounts of rust on the front end and fenders. Frame and body from the first row of seats back is in great shape. I do need this car to be street legal, and yet functional off-road.

It's technically a 2 owner car, the guy I bought it from had bought it for his mother brand new in 1995, transferred it to himself in 2004 and then I got it with a nice mileage of 310000~ kms. Motor is strong, transmission is strong and transfer case is great!. Fender rust is a bit extreme, rust on driver rear fender has gone through to rocker. Both rockers need to be replaced, and rear fenders as well. Since it's frame-on-body I would like to change the rear end somewhat radically. I also discovered some nasty rust on the driver and passenger footwells, and under the rear seat. I will attach pictures of how I got it and how it looks with the interior gutted, highlighting the worst of it. I'm not completely new to cars thanks to playing with Subaru's in the past, but this is by far the biggest project I'm taking on yet. I would like any and all input, and encouragement would be awesome as I'm honestly a little intimidated by the magnitude of work in front of me (which may not be a lot to some of you I'm sure...). Most of all I would like ideas and opinions on where to start/attack this project from people who have done similar work. Also any free/salvage parts are more than welcome ;)

Cheers,

Fernando

Right after I got her I had to spray down the fading chrome grill. Just not a chrome person.

4vl05y.jpg

Note rust on fenders... Plastic will go and fenders will most likely be cut.

2lcb31j.jpg

Had to do brakes...

2rndfm8.jpg

Interior gutted save for 3 door panels, driver seat re-installed so I can move the truck.

143nfhl.jpg

6h6nmp.jpg

As you can see (esp. in brake photo) there is a significant amount of rust. I do intend to pull the frame to clean up, once again, any and all input on making the job easier, any tips/tricks and products is welcome. I will be getting a LOT of POR-15...

I will be starting the job from the point the photos stand as of the 26th, when I return from vacation. Depending on data coverage I will try and check the forums, if not I will read every post when I'm back so please give me your ideas ! :)

Edited by PathfinderNoob

Lol looks just like mine man, Us Canadians are the ones with the Pathys that REALLY need work haha. Check out my Project Eagle Finder thread in General .

I am going to be moving to Scarborough in a month or so to start my Mech apprenticeship at Heritage Ford. Would be sweet to work on them together.

adamzan, sketchy how ? :) last owner mentioned Nissan did some welding to 'reinforce' rear section of frame but did not mention any damage...

earlfairweather, I'm still sorta in the subaru scene, had a 02 wrx rally car and now have a dd 06 STi. Over the last 5 years I've come to realize that horsepower-per-buck subaru's arent the greatest platform to modify, and wanted to get into the 4x4 thing after a few friends made the switch. Originally looked for a Disco I, and at the end of the day with all the reliability-horror-stories surrounding Land Rovers went with the Nissan. I would like to pull the body as well, just to clean up the frame and fix the rust properly, and I will be doing the work/welding myself because I intend to keep this a low-budget build.

Ya im also doing a low budget ( hoping to do most of the work myself. )

What stage are you on now?

Im going to start disconnecting things from my frame and body. I have the wooden frame made around it and will hopefully be having the body off within the week.

First thing I'd do is assess the condition of the frame. Get The scale off it with a wire brush and bang on it all over with a hammer and a screwdriver. 95 frames have a tendency to rust thru above the rear wheels. You'll have to cut out any bad spots and weld plates in. Check the junkyards for fenders, or new aftermarket ones are about $75US. Or if you feel creative, find some Chevy or Ford Bushwaker cut-out flares on Craigslist and make 'em fit. Otherwise you're going to have to do some real bodywork on those rear quarter panels or cut-and-roll them. It's usually done with a baseball bat on dropped cars to flare the lip out and under for wider tires. Anyway, other than the worn suspension parts and the door lock, I'd get the rusty stuff under control first.